This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Dictionary of Vexillology: S (Statant - Staynande Colours)
Last modified: 2022-09-10 by rob raeside
Keywords: vexillological terms |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
On this page:
- The heraldic term used when an animal is depicted on all four feet standing still whilst facing the dexter but see passant and the notes below (also‘dexter’).
Flag of Lyngdal, Norway (fotw);
Flag of Mitteldithmarschen, Germany (fotw);
Flag of Morαvka, Czechia (fotw)
a) A creature that is shown with one hoof or paw raised should be blazoned
passant as referenced above.
b) In modern heraldry the term is sometimes also applied to two-legged-creatures such as birds.
- STATE ARMS (or COAT OF ARMS)
- See under ‘arms’.
State/National Arms of Chile (fotw);
Flag of the State of New York, U.S. (fotw);
Arms of The State of Alabama, US (fotw)
- STATE COLOURS (or COLORS)
- 1) See ‘national colours’
and ‘colours 4).
- 2) A special mark of distinction carried by some foot regiments of the British
Brigade of Guards – but see
‘second colour’ (also
‘colours 2)’ and
‘royal standard 3)’).
- 3) The colours selected by a sub-national entity – particularly if the entity
is called a “state” - as representative of that entity – colours of the stat of or landesfarben (see also
‘state flag 2)’, ‘state symbols 2)’
and ‘sub-national flag’).
- 4) In US military usage a term, now obsolete, for one of the colours carried
by a unit of state militia or volunteers (usually when mustered into federal service)
as the second colour along with a national colour of the same design as that used
by regiments of the regular army.
Naval Ensign and National Colours of Italy, Colours of the State of
New Mexico, US
- STATE EMBLEM
- See ‘emblem
state, or national or royal’ under ‘emblem’.
State Emblem of Turkmenistan (fotw); State/National Emblem of
North Korea (fotw)
- STATE ENSIGN
- 1) See ‘government ensign’ under 'ensign'.
- 2) A term used to denote that flag flown on vessels operated by the government agencies
of a sub national entity but see ‘admiralty flag 2)’
(also ‘state flag 2)’) .
State/Government Ensign of Belgium (fotw); State Ensign of
Hamburg, Germany (fotw)
- STATE FLAG
- 1) A variant of the national flag (or occasionally a completely different
design) which is restricted by law or custom (theoretically or actually) to use
by a country's government, and can often differ from the national flag by the
addition of a coat of arms or emblem – the government flag or federal service
flag (see also
‘coat of arms’,
‘emblem, national’ and
‘national flag’, together with ‘government
ensign’ and ‘naval ensign’ listed under ‘ensign’).
- 2) See flag of the state of and the note below.
State Flag of Lithuania (fotw);
State Flag of Peru (fotw);
State Flag of Poland (fotw)
Please note with regard to 2), that that the sub-national flag of a state (such as those of the US) should always referred to as the flag of the state of as referenced above to avoid confusion with 1).
- STATE MILITARY CREST
- See ‘military crest’.
State Military Crest of Nebraska, US (fotw)
- STATE SEAL
- 1) See ‘seal of the state of’.
2) See ‘seal’.
Seal of the State of Utah, US (fotw);
Flag of the South Dakota, U.S. (fotw);
State Seal of the Northern Mariana Islands (fotw)
- STATE SERVICE FLAG
- 1) A term describing those flags of German and Austrian states - or Länder -
that are intended for official as opposed to civil use (see also ‘ceremonial flag
flag of the state of, ‘official flag 2)
and ‘sub-national flag’ with following notes).
2) See ‘federal service flag’.
The State Service Flag and Civil Flag of Saxony, Germany
The State Service Flag of Styria, Austria (fotw)
- STATE SYMBOLS
- 1) See ‘national symbols’.
- 2) Those things, often established by law, which have been adopted as being symbolic of
a sub-national entity particularly when that entity is called a state, these may include the
flag of the state, and the state coat of arms or emblem, the state colours and possibly a
motto, a plant, an animal and/or a bird etc (see also ‘flag of the state of’
and ‘state colours 2)’).
Some Symbols of the State of New Mexico, US: Flag of the State, State
Seal and State Colours (fotw,
ICH and CS)
- STATE WAR FLAG (or STATE WAR ENSIGN)
- A direct translation of the German term Reichskriegsflagge, and referring to the war flags in use from 1935 to 1945 - see war flag 1) and war flag 2)
(also 'imperial war ensign).
Reichskriegsflaggen/State War Flags of Germany 1935 1938 and
1938 1945 (fotw)
- STAYED MAST
- A heavy high mast supported by means of stay cables. Stayed masts are often
erected at sea training establishments with proper main and top yards for seamanship
training purposes or at yacht clubs, and are fitted with a main yard gaff for
the hoisting of an ensign (see also
‘sailor’s mast’ and
- STAYNANDE COLOURS
- In heraldry see abatements (also stains and its following note).
Lion couard denoting cowardice or dishonour (Wikipedia)
Introduction | Table of Contents
| Index of Terms | Previous Page | Next Page