Last modified: 2020-01-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: pensacola yacht club | united states yacht club | florida |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 7 April 2019
Estb: 1910. Location: 18978 Cypress St., Pensacola.
Burgee: Pennant circa 3:4 (print image). White field fimbriated blue on two sides and charged with the blue diminishing letters P.Y.C.
Source: Lloyd’s Register of American Yachts. New York, 1966.
Note: the current burgee omits the periods after each letter.
"The Pensacola Yacht Club and Motor Boat Club was originally organized by several motor boat owners and enthusiasts in 1908. It was officially chartered as the Pensacola Yacht Club by the State of Florida in 1910. The first clubroom was on the second floor of the Fisher Building. It then moved to the wharf on the Baylen Street Yacht Basin. . . . Later, the quarters were located in the Bar Pilots Building on South Palafox Street, and then on the municipal dock in the Aiken Towing Company Building until 1922. The US Army transport, "General Wilson" was purchased in 1922 and used as the clubhouse until 1925 when it was destroyed by fire. The Club then returned to the Palafox Wharf until the present property at the mouth of Bayou Chico was purchased from the estate of J. M. Muldon in 1948. . . . Since 1920, the two principal activities of PYC have been sailing and motorboating. The sailors of PYC have distinguished themselves in local and coastal events as well as in offshore races and national one design events. Motorboating has consisted of predicted log races, cruises, raft-ups, rendezvous, and boat parades. In addition, motorboaters have served as escorts to many sailing events."
Source: accessed 29 March 2019,
Peter Edwards, 3 April 2019
The oldest edition of Lloyd’s Register of American Yachts that I can check is
1912. That year the Pensacola Yacht Club is listed as an additional entry at the
end of the plates. Most likely that means they were a late entry, thus it's
likely that that's their first entry. However, its not the same design as the
current burgee. This first one has a spilt, a blue and white field and a capital
P in a sans font.
In the 1913 edition, that same design is listed for the Pensacola Yacht and Motor Boat Club. Then in the 1917 edition this first design changes to the second design, with periods.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 9 April 2019