Last modified: 2018-12-25 by rick wyatt
Keywords: north cape yacht club | united states yacht club | michigan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 7 November 2018
North Cape Yacht Club (U.S.), Michigan
Estb: 1962. Location: Maumee River, La Salle, MI.
Burgee: Pennant circa 4:6 (photo, image on club house chimneys). Red field charged with the horizontal white capital letters Y C on a blue diamond with two sides, 4 units from fly point, on upper and lower fly edges. The diamondís other two sides terminate 1 unit from hoist and fimbriated with a thin white line. Upper red field charged with the white capital letter N and the lower red field, separated by a thin white horizontal line, charged with the white capital letter C.
"Located on the shore of Western Lake Erie, some eight miles north of the Ohio/Michigan border, . . .
The founding of North Cape Yacht Club in 1962, evolved from the efforts of several members of the Toledo Yacht Club (TYC) that dates from 1865. The location of TYC up the Maumee River frustrated the sailors of the one-design Dragon fleet who made the long, back and forth trek to their racing venue in the open waters of Lake Erie and Maumee Bay. Led by Walter Swindeman, Richard Krauss, John Holton, James Bernard and John Turin, in the late 1950's this group began searching for a location where the Dragon fleet could be moored closer to deep-water sailing. . . .
The site they eventually located was a match with the business plan of Virgil Gladieux, a Toledo businessman and entrepreneur. In 1961, Mr. Gladieux was planning to construct a marina on lakefront property he had acquired near the mouth of South Otter Creek that was then a duck marsh and the remnants of the old Toledo Beach Amusement Park. . . .
Because the board of Toledo Yacht Club declined to become involved in the project as a sailing station annex or possible future site for TYC itself, the group, with Walter Swindeman as a driving force, sought to organize a new yacht club. . . . On January 9, 1962, the North Cape Yacht Club was properly incorporated and the lease was assigned to it. The club's first commodore was founding member Walter Swindeman who was succeeded, after a 2-year term, by founding member Richard Krauss. . . .
In 1971, the club purchased the previously leased site for $125,000 with the proceeds of bonds sold to its members. . . ď
Source: accessed 13 October 2018, https://ncyc.net
Peter Edwards, 28 October 2018