Last modified: 2020-01-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: black rock yacht club | united states yacht club | connecticut |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Rob Raeside, 27 June 2019
Estb:1874. Location: 80 Grovers Ave, Bridgeport.
Burgee: Pennant circa 4:7 (print image). White field charged with five equally-spaced bends, alternating three red/two white, parallel to upper edge.
Burgee Source [See - Bridgeport Yacht Club]: Lloyd’s Register of American Yacht Clubs. New York. 1903.
"Black Rock Yacht Club traces its origins to 1874. In that year, George A. Wells, an associate of P.T. Barnum, purchased a building on the land where the clubhouse now sits. It became known as part of the George Hotel, known the world over for its elegance and charm. . . . "
"By 1902, the glory days of the George Hotel had passed the "Shore House" as our present club house was known, was sold. For years the spacious harbor house was used primarily for entertaining as a summer home, until on July 3, 1926, it officially opened as the Black Rock Yacht and Lawn Club flying the adopted red and white burgee of the old Bridgeport Yacht Club."
"On January 16th, 1926 The Black Rock Yacht and Lawn Club Inc. (the name was changed in 1927 to its present name) made an agreement with Kenneth W. McNeil, the owner of our present property, whereby he agreed to sell the land and its improvements. The club completed the purchase of the property on June 15th, 1932."
Source: accessed 25 June 2019, https://www.blackrockyc.org/About/Club-History
Peter Edwards, 29 June 2019
Lloyd's of 1917 lists the Black Rock Yacht Club as organized and incorporated
in 1915. Basically, that means the club was created once it was clear that the
Bridgeport YC had gone out of existence. (1914)
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 29 June 2019