Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: villarcayo de merindad de castilla la vieja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla la Vieja - Image by Ivan Sache, 11 April 2011
The municipality of Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla la Vieja (or,
simply, Villarcayo; 4,855 inhabitants in 2010; 15,968 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Province of Burgos, 80 km of Burgos.
The sixth biggest municipality in the Province of Burgos by its population, the municipality is made of the town of Villarcayo proper and of the villages of La Aldea (41 inh.), Andino (5 inh.), Barriosuso (18 inh.), Barruelo (8 inh.), Bisjueces (68 inh.), Bocos (71 inh.), Campo (7 inh.), Casillas (8 inh.), Céspedes (17 inh.), Cigüenza (163 inh.), Escaño (7 inh.), Fresnedo (20 inh.), Hocina (28 inh.), Horan (153 inh.), Incinillas (28 inh.), Lechedo (3 inh.), Mozares (28 inh.), La Quintana de Rueda (20 inh.), Quintanilla de los Adrianos (19 inh.), Quintanilla Socigüenza (2 inh.), Salazar (46 inh.), Santa Cruz de Andino (24 inh.), Torme (76 inh.), Tubilla (19 inh.), Villacanes (18 inh.), Villacomparada de Rueda (48 inh.), Villalaín (57 inh.), Villanueva la Blanca (30 inh.), Villanueva la Lastra (45 inh.) and Villarías (1 inh.).
Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla Vieja is named for one of the seven administrative divisions (merindades) that existed in Old Castile from the 16th century until the administrative reorganization set up in 1835. The municipality of Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla la Vieja - that is, the Spanish municipality with the longest name - was formed in 1975 by the merging of the former municipalities of Villarcayo and Merindad de Castilla la Vieja (capital, Cigüenza), the two municipalities having been separated in 1843. The villages of Miñon and Villamezan, once part of the Merindad de Castila Vieja, were transferred into the municipality of Medina de Pomar.
Ivan Sache, 11 April 2011
The flag of Villarcayo de Merindad de Castilla la Vieja (municipal website) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 July 1998 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 23 July 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on 6 August 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 149 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular and tricolor. At hoist, placed vertically, 2/10 azure, wavy; the rest of the flag, placed horizontally, 8/10, half gules and or. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Ivan Sache, 11 April 2011