Last modified: 2019-01-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: arauzo de miel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Arauzo de Miel (338 inhabitants; 5,710 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of the Province of Burgos; 70 km of Burgos.
Arauzo de Miel is located in a rocky, mountainous area; the Ventanilla hill is the site of a calvary where the youth of the village reenacts the Passion every year during the Holy Week.
The village was mentioned for the first time, as Arabuc, in 993. Subsequent names of the village are Aravugio de Gemiel (1029), Arabuzo de Gemielle (1062), Arauz de Miel (1113), Arush de Mel (1136), Arabuzo de Gemiel (12th century), Araut de Miel (1217), Aruso de Miel (1245), Arauze de Miel (1337), Arus de Miel (1352), Araujo de Miel (1444), Harauz de Miel (1541). This name probably refers to the two lords Arabuzo and Gemiel, commissioned by the Count of Castile García Fernández, to resettle the area. On 26 March 1370, King Henry II of Trastamara granted the village to Lope Ochoa de Avellaneda, who was succeeded by his second son, Juan Álvarez Delgadillo (d. 1432), majordomo of King of Aragón Ferdinand I.
Ivan Sache, 2 December 2010
The flag of Arauzo de Miel, designed by Friar Valentín de la Cruz, the official Chronicler of Province of Burgos, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 16 March 2006 by the Municipal Council, signed on 17 March 2006 by the Mayor, and published on 19 April 2006 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 76, p. 7,108 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, white, charged with three gyrons of 0.2 in base and 0.8 in width. The first gyron, red; the second gyron, green; the third gyron, yellow. In the middle of the flag the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Arauzo de Miel is prescribed by a Decree adopted
on 12 November 1998 by the Burgos Provincial Government, signed on 30 November 1998 by the President of the Government and published on 10
December 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 236 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Gules the castle of Castile masoned sable port and windows azure ensigned by a hoe or and a sword of the same, 2. Argent a pine vert terraced in chief five six-pointed red stars 3 + 2. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The coat of arms of Arauzo de Miel was designed by Friar Valentín de la Cruz (document, 26 July 1998).
The dexter part of the shield recalls the resettlement of the area, with pioneers involved both in agriculture and defence of the territory. The sinister field highlights the economical and ecological resources of the area; the five stars stand for the deserted villages of Bañuelos de Suso, Tejerina, Doña Santos, Plumarejos and Rubialejos, which once contributed to the greatness of Arauzo de Miel. To summarize, the dexter quarter is bellicose while the sinister quarter is peaceful.
The Royal Academy of History rejected "yet another inclusion of the arms of the Kings of Castile to a municipal coat of arms without any reason". The Academy suggested to change the design or the colour of the field. The Academy also recommended to change the position of the hoe, with the staff at the top and the iron at the bottom. The proposed coat of arms is: "Per pale, 1. Azure a castle or ensigned with a sword and a hoe per saltire, 2. Argent a pine vert terraced of the same ensigned by three stars gules placed 3 and 2. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown" (Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 197, 2: 370, 2000).
Ivan Sache, 7 January 2014