This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Seefeld Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Seefeld, Landkreis Starnberg, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-12-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: seefeld | trefoil | rose(red) | lozenge | meilingian fess |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Seefeld municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021
See also:

Seefeld Municipality

Seefeld Banner

It is a yellow-blue-yellow vertical triband. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021

Seefeld Coat of Arms

Shield Azure a trefoil Or, mantled Argent, at dexter charged with a heraldic rose Gules seeded Or, at sinister with two lozenges Sable in fess, chief paly of four of Gules and Or.
The municipal arms is referring to the former municipalities of Oberalting-Seefeld, Hechendorf upon Pilsensee and Meiling, which merged in 1978. The chief displays the so called Meilingian fess, which reminds on the Meilinger kin. Its members had been commssionaires of the Andechs Abbey during the High medieval. Furthermore they had been important manorial lords in Hechendorf. The lozenges are taken from the arms of the High Barons of Seefeld. They had been also commissionaires of the abbey since the middle of the 12th century. Thex died out in 1351. Their possessions and their arms were acquired by the Törring-Jettenbach family in 1472 and later by the Törring-Stein family since 1555. The latter gained the title of a count in 1630. The rose is a differentiation of the original arms of the Törring family, which displayed three red roses ordered 2:1 on a silver shield. It is also reminding on the Counts of Törring-Seefeld, who managed to establish an extended lordship around the lakes Pilsensee and Wörthsee until the middle of the 18th century. They also gained the local cognisance until the 19th century. Meilingian fess and rose had also been parts of the municipal arms of Hechenfeld since 1968. The trefoil is symbolising the rural character of the municipalities of Unering and Drößling, which were incorporated in 1972. The tinctures blue and white are those of Bayern. They had also been the predominant tinctures of the municipal arms of Oberalting-Seefeld between 1974 and 1978.
Source: "Unser Landkreis Starnberg", 2nd edition, Bamberg 1985, pp.64,120
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021

Banner and arms were approved on 24 April 1981 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Oberbayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021

back to Starnberg cities and municipalities click here