This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Andechs Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Andechs, Landkreis Starnberg, Bayern

Last modified: 2021-12-04 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: andechs | lion(yellow) | alder(branch) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Andechs municipal banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021
See also:

Andechs Municipality

Andechs Banner

It is a white-blue vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021

Andechs Coat of Arms

Shield Azure a lion passant guardant Or, chief Argent an alder branch Vert.
The branch of an alder (German: Erle) is canting, as the name of the municipality had been Erling until 1956 and Erling-Andechs until 1978. The lion reguardant is a differentiation of the arms of the Counts of Andechs-Meranien. Their family arms displayed a lion above and an eagle beneath. The kin played an important role in the Bavarian uplands until the 13th century. Their possessions were acquired by the Wittelbach kin in 1248, after the counts had died out. Duke Albrecht III of Bayern changed the ancestral seat of the counts to the Benedictine Abbey of the Holy Mountain of Andechs. The lion became part of the arms of the abbey. The abbey gained the privileges of a district (Bavarian: Hofmark) and ruled the villages Erling, Ramsee and Widdersberg until 1803, when it was secularised. The abbey nowadays is name giver and landmark of the village and a famous brewery. The tinctures white and blue are referring to the close relationships between the abbey and the Wittelsbach kin.
Source: "Unser Bayern", appendix of Bayerische Staatszeitung, a newspaper, 1973, p.88
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021

The banner has never been approved officially. The arms were approved on 3 October 1972 by district governor (Regierungspräsident) of Oberbayern.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 Nov 2021

back to Starnberg cities and municipalities click here