Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: sluis | aardenburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Mark Sensen, 25 March 2003.
adopted 27 Feb 2003. Design: D. de Koning.
In "De gemeentewapens van Nederland", 1962, Sierksma counts four municipalities
which have such arms related to "Het Vrije van Sluis": - Cadzand, Groede,
Schoondijke, and Zuidzande.
Of these, the Cadzand uses the shield augmented with a K sabel in the sinister chief, Schoondijke uses the shield augmented with an S sabel in the sinister chief, and Zuidzande uses the shield augmented with a Z azure on each side of the bar. Groede uses the original Coat of Arms of "Het Vrije van Sluis".
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 1 Jan 1978
Sluis-Aardenburg is a merger of the former municipalities of Aardenburg
and Sluis (01-01-1995).The flag was adopted on 9 November
Aardenburg was a municipality in Zeeuws Vlaanderen, and consisted of
Aardenburg town (seat), Bakkersdam (part), Biezen, Draaibrug, Eede, Moershoofde,
Sint Kruis, Smedekensbrugge, Valeiskreek and Vuilpan. On 1 Jan 1979 it
had 3.908 inhabitants on 49,71 ha.
Aardenburg has 2.478 inhabitants, and received city rights shortly before 1187 and is so one of the oldest towns in the Netherlands. Eede (locally known as d'Ee, after the Ee, a small river running from Maldegem, Oostvlaanderen, forming the harbour of Aardenburg and reached the sea in the Zwin, east of Sluis. Eede gained national fame, because it was the first Dutch settlement where Queen Wilhelmina set foot on Dutch soil.
In 1995 Aardenburg became part of Sluis Aardenburg municipality, and 1 Jan 2003 of the new merger resulting in Sluis municipality.
The flag of Aardenburg (see is a yellow field with a red double castle, adopted 21 Apr 1959, and is identical to the Coat of Arms.
The Coat of Arms can be seen at Ralf Hartemink's site and is said to be canting as the original name of Aardenburg was "Rodenburgh" (Red castle). The Coat of Arms was granted 31 July 1817. The Aardenburg castle figures also prominently on the old Sluis Aardenburg municipality flag and the new Sluis municipality flag and Coat of Arms (see this website).
Jarig Bakker, 7 May 2003