Last modified: 2021-04-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: illkirch-graffenstaden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Illkirch-Graffenstaden, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 8 October 2020
The municipality of Illkirch-Graffenstaden (26,830 inhabitants in 2018, therefore the 2nd most populated municipality in Greater Strasbourg; 2,221 ha) is adjacent to Strasbourg south-south west side.
Illkirch and Graffenstaden were once two separate villages.
Illkirch is believed to be a Frankish foundation, named for river Ill and kirch, the local word for "a church".
When Rudolf of Habsburg was elected King of the Romans in 1273, he urgently needed military help from his leading supporters against his rival, King Ottokar II of Bohemia, who was reluctant to recognize him as emperor. As a reward for their services, Rudolf elevated in 1284 several leading burghers of Strasbourg to the knighthood. To his favoured supporter, Bernhard von Müllenheim, he also granted the ford at Grafenstaden, with the right to levy tolls on travellers: the value of the concession was enhanced by the absence of any bridge. Hitherto the citizens of Strasbourg had been able to use the Grafenstaden ford without payment, and in 1391 ownership of the ford reverted to the town: from that year, there was a requirement to transfer every week money collected from tolls to Strasbourg.
Graffenstaden was a village bordering Illkirch: the two villages were merged for economic reasons between 1790 and 1794.
Olivier Touzeau, 8 October 2020
The flag of Illkirch-Graffenstaden (photo), in use since 2014, is white with the municipal logo.
The logo is composed of a lozenge formed of small blue squares surrounded by branches of oak and olive.
The branches represent a blossoming forest environment.
The graphism of the blue lozenge highlights modernity. Its location emphasizes the significance of modern companies and cutting-edge technologies. Its location also expresses the search of a balance between environment and modernity.
The former flag of Illkirch-Graffenstaden (photo,
photo) was white with the municipal coat of arms, "Per pale, 1. Argent a coulter sable in pale, 2. Gules a fisher's gaff argent in pale" and the name of the two components of the municipality above (Illkirch) and below (Graffenstaden) it.
The first quarter represent Illkirch, whose old arms, "Argent a coulter sable in pale", are shown in the Armorial Général (image). They recall that farmers from Illkirch supplied fresh vegetable to the Strasbourg markets.
The second quarter represents Graffenstaden, recalling that the fishers from Graffenstaden supplied fish to the Strasbourg markets.
Olivier Touzeau, Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 10 October 2020