Last modified: 2018-07-27 by rick wyatt
Keywords: ohio city | ohio | cuyahoga county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
1:2 image(s) by permission of David B. Martucci
image(s) from American City Flags, Raven 9-10 (2002-2003), courtesy of the North American Vexillological Association, which retains copyright.
One of Cleveland's oldest neighborhoods, and perhaps its most ethnically diverse is Ohio City, a culturally rich community located just across the Cuyahoga River from downtown Cleveland. Originally home to Irish and German immigrants, Ohio City today is home to more than 15 ethnic groups representing over 10,000 people. Like most inner-city neighborhoods in the U.S., Ohio City fell into decline in the 1950s and 1960s as migration to the suburbs took its toll. However, in the 1970s, initial efforts at revitalizing the neighborhood began in earnest--efforts that have blossomed into a full-fledged renaissance marked by renovation of the neighborhood's historic structures; construction of new single-family houses, condominiums and townhomes; and proliferation of interesting shops, restaurants and nightspots.
The flag of Ohio City can be seen on Flickr website photo: www.flickr.com/photos/ashleytaseff/468787334 as on the neighborhood website: www.ohiocity.com.
Valentin Poposki, 27 December 2007
Cleveland is one of
the few U.S. cities with a sub-municipal
flag, in this case, the area known as
Ohio City, which was an independent
city from 1836 until its annexation to
Cleveland in 1854. Although there was
no flag for the independent Ohio City,
there was a city seal. In October 1983 John Nosek, a resident of the
area, thought a distinctive flag would be a source of neighborhood pride,
and he persuaded a business associate, Leon Stevens, to design a flag
based on the old Ohio City seal. The flag is pennant-shaped, in proportions
of 1:2, and has a blue field with a red canton shaped like a pie
slice, the curved edge next to the blue field.
John M. Purcell, American City Flags, Raven 9-10, 2002-2003