This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Juncos (Puerto Rico)

Last modified: 2021-08-25 by rob raeside
Keywords: juncos | rio valenciano | flower | reed |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Thanh-Tâm Le, 12 Febuary 2000

See also:

Other sites:


This city of 41,424 inhabitants was founded on August 2, 1797. The blue waves represent the Río [Ri'o] Valenciano. The bulrush with red flowers refers to the name of the town (bulrush plants are called "juncos" in Spanish).
Thanh-Tâm Le, 3 Febuary 1999

The explanation of the flag is at lexjuris site , from which I conclude that it is a canting flag. Juncos seem to be birds ("Junco" = "reed" , Santiago Dotor) , but the drawing on the flag looks like a plant. The blue wavy line represent the Ri'o Valenciano. The plant in the top of the flag is called espigas de juncos colocadas. Juncos is in east Puerto Rico.
Jarig Bakker, 1 Febuary 2000

From lexjuris site: FLAG - On a golden field appear the blue wavy stripes, representing River Valenciano, on the lower triangle. Centralised [centered???] on field and ondulation we see the spikes of reed plced in a similar fashion as they are on the Coat of Arms.
G. Aveledo, 1 Febuary 2000

Coat of Arms

image by Nelson Román, 19 July 2004

Divided into four quarters and presented to the viewpoint of the observer, the shield presents upper left and lower right vertical stripes gold (or yellow) and gules (red) in reference to the region of Valencia, Spain, and to its denomination as "Town of Valencia". This reference is linked directly to the foundation of the town: during the move in the seventeenth century of the Hato Grande de los Delgado (hato or hatillo means ranch), whose territory covered the northern plains of the Central Mountain Range in the banks of the Grande de Loíza river, a series of smaller ranches appeared. One of them was called Hato del Valenciano, which years later subdivided into the Hatillo de los Lirios and the Hatillo de los Juncos. This last one developed into the village and on August 2, 1797, receiving the title of town. The other two quarter collect the symbols of the life and the apreciation of the town. The right upper quarter presents on blue background a new moon with twelve small silver stars, symbol of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, the matron of the population. It shows also the cross, symbol of the christendom of the town. In the lower left quarter collects the symbols of the economic history of the region. On a dark blue background a tobacco plant appears in memory of the agricultural life of the community that for many years cultivated tobacco. To the right a chimney symbolizes greatly the industrialization of the zone by sugar cane processing that also gave life in the past to this town. The upper and lower quarters are divided by an undulating white stripe with blue edges that honors the Valenciano River, so linked to the life of this town. Under the shield reside green reeds with red flowers in reference to the name of the town, after which the name of the town with the year of its foundation appears. The shield has a three tower crown, which is symbol of cities, villas and towns.
Source: <>.
Nelson Román, 19 July 2004