Last modified: 2014-03-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: donji lapac | eagle (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Donji Lapac is located some 60 km east of Gospić. The town was established in the 18th century after the liberation of the region from the Ottomans. It suffered much damage in both the First World War and in the Homeland War. It has 1,900 inhabitats, about 800 in the town of the same name, the other in 17 surrounding villages. In the 1990s it was part of the breakaway Serbian Krajina, reintegrated to Croatia in 1995 after the liberation operation "Storm". In the 1992 administrative reform, it was made part of the special administrative unit Kotar Knin, part of Zadar-Knin County, but in 1997 it was made part of Lika-Senj County.
Željko Heimer, 5 December 2009
Coat of arms of Donji Lapac - Image by Željko Heimer, 5 December 2009
The coat of arms of Donji Lapac is "Gules an eagle displayed sable armed or and langued of the first".
The coat of arms is based on an historical seal, already recorded in 1448 according to Laszowski's Grbovi Jugoslavije [lsv39]; Laszowki shows the same coat of arms with a somewhat more basic depiction of the eagle (image).
Željko Heimer, 18 October 2011