Last modified: 2020-02-09 by ivan sache
Keywords: chiloeches |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Chiloeches - Image by Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The municipality of Chiloeches (3,310 inhabitants in 2014; 4,540 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-west of the Province of Guadaljara, on the border with the Community of Madrid, 10 km of Guadalajara.The municipality is made of the town of Chiloeches and of the village of Albolleque (6 inh.).
Chiloeches was established after the Christian reconquest by northern
colonists; the name of the town means "stone houses". Chiloeches was a
village depending on Guadalajara until granted in 1626 the status of
villa- by King Philip IV for 4,621,089 maravedies. The town, which
could no longer pay the interests of its debt, was acquired in 1640 by
Manuel Álvarez Pinto, who proclaimed himself lord of Chiloeches,
Albolleque and La Celada. His widow sold the domain to Juan de
Santelices Guevara, who was made in 1692 the 1st Marquess of Chiloeches.
In the second half of the 19th century, the main source of income in Chiloeches was esparto; the local craftsmen supplied the Royal Palace in Madrid and the Royal Sites of Aranjuez, La Granja and San Lorenzo de El Escorial with small bags, mats and doormats.
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019
The flag of Chiloeches is prescribed by a Decree issued on 1 February
2012 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 22
February 2012 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 39, p.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel vertically divided in three equal parts, the central white and the lateral green, charged in the center with the crowned coat of arms of the municipality.
The process of adoption of the flag was decided unanimously on 7 October
2009 (Session No. 8) by the Municipal Council, following a proposal made
on 16 September 2009 by the Mayor.
The flag was inaugurated on 25 April 2009, during the celebration of St.
Mark's Festival. The green stripe recalls esparto, once the main source of income in the
[Nueva Alcarria, 29 April 2012]
The coat of arms of Chiloeches is prescribed by a Decree issued on 1
February 2012 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
22 February 2012 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 39,
p. 6,981 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Vert a house argent surrounded by three bees or two in chief one in base. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The house recalls the etymology of the name of the municipality and
represents the oldest house of the place, the Town Hall. The field vert
may represent the agricultural environment. The bees recall that honey
was once a significant production in the area.
[Heráldica municipal de Guadalajara, by Antonio Herrera Casado and Antonio Ortiz García]
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2019