Last modified: 2020-07-26 by ian macdonald
Keywords: minas gerais | judiciary |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image located by Aristobulo Lima, 15 August 2014
The link below leads to the flag of the Judiciary, the Judicial Branch of
Government in the state of Minas Gerais:
The flag is a symbol of representation and distinction of the Judiciary, your jurisdiction and social importance of the exercise of judicial services. It is used in building, ceremonies and public events facility, being flown along with the flag of Brazil and the state of Minas Gerais.
The flag of the Judiciary was established in November 2011, through Resolution 676/2011.
The flag is double sided and consists of a white rectangle, containing:
At the center, a red equilateral triangle, which refers to the flag of the State of Minas Gerais and symbolizes equality.
Over the red triangle, a white circle, which refers to perfection and homogeneity, whose edges there are inscriptions: Judiciary - Minas Gerais - 1711, the date that announces the creation of the first counties in the state of Minas Gerais.
At the center of the circle a stylized figure, which blends elements of the balance and the sword, indicating the exercise of judgment to balance the judiciary of Minas Gerais.
Green and yellow band, with reference to the colors of the national flag, which extends along the rectangle horizontally, on which stands out the red triangle.
The shape and dimensions of the flag of the judiciary are identical to the flags of Brazil and Minas Gerais.
Proper Placement of the Flag
The arrangement of flags follows the general order of precedence. The flag of the judiciary will be hoisted with the flag of Brazil and Minas Gerais, leaving the left side of the national pavilion.
According to the single paragraph, Art.19. the decree no. 70,274, March 1972; right or left side is defined as follows:
"The right of a flag device is the right of a person standing beside him and facing the street, to the audience or, in general, to the public who observes the device is considered".
Aristobulo Lima, 15 August 2014
The Judiciary is made today of 296 "comarcas". The first "comarcas", Vila Rica
(today, Ouro Preto), Rio das Velhas (Santa Luzia) and Rio das Mortes (São João
Del-Rei), were established in 1711. The Tribunal de Justiça do Estado de Minas
Gerais (TJMG, Minas Gerais Court of Justice) was originally established by
Imperial Decree No. 2,432 of 3 February 1874, under the name of "Tribunal da
Relação de Ouro Preto". Abolished in 1889 after the proclamation of the
Republic, the Court was re-established in 1891 under the name of "Tribunal da
Relação do Estado de Minas Gerais". Still based in Ouro Preto, the Court was
transferred on 5 August 1897 to Belo Horizonte, the new state capital. The Court
adopted its current name in 1947. When the Court was established in 1874, the
Judiciary was made of 37 "comarcas".
The flag of the Judiciary is prescribed by Resolution No. 676 adopted on in November 2011. The flag is white, with the following elements shown on both sides:
- in the middle, a red equilateral triangle, recalling the flag of Minas Gerais and symbolizing equality;
- on the red triangle, a white disk, recalling perfection and homogeneity, inscribed on the border with "Poder Judiciário – Minas Gerais – 1711" [text in Capital letters]. Year 1711 was the date of establishment of the first "comarcas" in Minas Gerais;
- in the middle of the white disk, a stylized figure mixing scales and swords, meaning the balanced exercise of justice by the Judiciary:
- two horizontal green and yellow stripes, of the colours of the national flag, placed in the middle of the flag and charged with the
The size and dimensions of the flag shall be those of the national flag of Brazil and of the Minas Gerais state flag.
The flag of the Judiciary shall be displayed together with the national and state flag, the national flag in the middle, the state flag at viewer's left, and the flag of the Judiciary at the viewer's right.
The flag was designed by a commission appointed by "Portaria" No. 212, released on 1 June 2011 by the Minas Gerais Court of Justice. The "Portaria" named the eight members of the commission and its secretary. It includes prerequisites for the design, such as the inclusion of references to facts or dates memorable for Minas Gerais and its Court of Justice, the use of the format and size of the national and state flags, and a delay of 90 days to draft a flag proposal.
http://www.tjmg.jus.br/lumis/portal/file/fileDownload.jsp?fileId=FF8080813871350901387CCE2D6860D7 - Portaria No. 212 of 1 June 2011
The flag was eventually presented on 26 October 2011 to the Court of Justice, which approved it.
A big image of the flag can be downloaded here: http://www.tjmg.jus.br/lumis/portal/file/fileDownload.jsp?fileId=FF8080813871350901387CCE2B7C6093
Ivan Sache, 3 September 2014