This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Corinthian Yacht Club (U.S.)

Massachusetts

Last modified: 2018-07-26 by rick wyatt
Keywords: corinthian yacht club | united states yacht club | massachusetts |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Corinthian Yacht Club] image by Ivan Sache, 18 July 2010



See also:


Corinthian Yacht Club

The Corinthian Yacht Club (CYC) was founded on 7 July 1885 in Marblehead. Famous visitors of the club were the presidential yacht "Mayflower", 1925-1926, and USS "Constitution", 1997. CYC originally had "males only" membership, but this slowly evolved: "In 1891 Corinthian established races for women and by 1910 Corinthian women were able to use the dining room. It was not until after World War II that women were permitted to enter the Club bar, and not until 1985 that they were admitted to full membership. Today Corinthian women participate in all activities and chair a number of committees."

The burgee of CYC, flown over the clubhouse, is diagonally divided from the lower left corner white-red-blue, with a blue star in canton.
www.corinthianyc.org/about455.html
www.corinthianyc.org/~corinth/images/clubhouse_400.jpg
Ivan Sache, 18 July 2010

From Corinthian Yacht Club, 1898:

By-Laws
Chapter III.
Club Signal.
The signal of the Club shall be a pointed burgee, its width being two-thirds of its length. It's divided into three triangles; the one next to the luff being white, the center red and the end blue. The base of the white triangle on the top of the burgee is three-eighths its length on top; the base of the red one-quarter, and the base of the blue three-eighths. The apex of the three triangles meeting at the bottom of the luff. In the center of the white triangle there shall be a blue star, the diameter being one-quarter the length of the luff.

Chapter IV.
Emblem and Pennants
The emblem of the Club is Pegasus, the flying horse. The motto is "Et certare pares, et respondere parati." The Commodore's pennant is a swallow tail with the Club-emblem in white on a blue field and three stars parallel with the staff. The Vice Commodore's is the emblem in white on a red field and two stars. The Rear Commodore's is the emblem in blue on a white field and one star."
These were the by-laws for 1898; more than a century has past since then, and the by-laws are likely to have changed during that time.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 14 April 2018