Last modified: 2017-08-13 by rick wyatt
Keywords: georgetown | delaware | sussex county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Randy Young, 14 April 2017
Georgetown is the county seat of Sussex County, Delaware. The town was founded in 1791 by an act of the Delaware General Assembly in an effort to centralize the county seat of Sussex County, which had traditionally been located at Lewes along the coast, but was considered inconvenient as people began to move westward toward the inland parts of the state and the western border with Maryland. The town is said to be named after George Mitchell, the Delaware State Senator who chaired the commission that purchased the original 76 acres upon which the town was founded.
The Georgetown town flag was seen flying outside the fire hall along with the American, Delaware, and Sussex County flags. It features the town seal centered on a blue field. The seal itself is circular and has the Sussex County Courthouse as its central theme, displayed in front of a green field and pale blue sky with white rays extending into the sky from a central point behind the courthouse. A gold ring circles the seal, bearing the words "Town of Georgetown Delaware" in dark brown letters across the top of the ring and the words "SUSSEX COUNTY SEAT" in dark brown capital letters across the bottom. A red ribbon sprouts from the sides of the seal bearing in white script "Est." on the left and "1791" on the right.
Randy Young, 14 April 2017