Last modified: 2020-09-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: Şişli |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Şişli, horizontal and vertical version - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 30 November 2017
The municipality of Şişli (318,217 inhabitants in 2012; 3,501 ha) is located on the European side of İstanbul. Şişli is the place of the Istanbul Military Museum, of the Mustafa Kemal Atatürk Museum and of the Cevahir Centre, one of the biggest shopping malls in the world.
Ivan Sache, 13 March 2016
The flag of Şişli (photo, photo, video), also used vertically (photo) is celestial with the municipality's emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem of the municipality features the Monument of (Eternal) Liberty.
The Monument of Liberty is a memorial in honor of the soldiers killed defending the Ottoman parliament against reactionary monarchist forces during the 1909 countercoup, most notably in the 31 March Incident.
The Tanzimat reforms, which began in 1839, along with other subsequent liberalization processes, were strongly opposed by conservatives in the Ottoman Empire. They hoped to re-affirm the monarchic powers of the Sultan Abdulhamid II as absolute monarch, even though the Sultan himself came to power accepting a Constitution and opening the first Ottoman parliament, the General Assembly of the Ottoman Empire, in 1876 during the First Constitutional Era. Parliament was adjourned in 1878 with the pretext of the Russian War and Abdulhamid II reigned as an absolute monarch for over 30 years until 1908, when Parliament resumed its activities in the Second Constitutional Era, upon pressure of the progressive forces in the Empire. However, a reactionary uprising that began on 13 April 1909 caused the democratic process to be interrupted once again.
Progressive forces of the "Hareket Ordusu" (Army of Action) that came from Rumelia, under the command of Mahmud Șevked Pasha, suppressed the countercoup on 23 July 1909. Abdulhamid II was deposed by the Committee of Union and Progress, the foremost constitutionalist party, and sent to exile in Salonica, then part of the Ottoman Empire.
The monument was inaugurated in 1911, at the second anniversary of the 31 March Incident. The complex also holds the graves of four notable Ottoman high-ranked officials, which were moved here in a later time. The monument, seen today as a symbol of modernity, democracy, and secularism in Turkey, serves as a place of some official ceremonies and public gatherings.
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 13 March 2016
Other flags of Şişli
Other flags of Şişli - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 12 November 2018
The municipality uses other flags, used either horizontally (photo) or vertically (photo, photo, photo), white with the municipal emblem, sometimes placed on a blue disk.
Tomislav Šipek, 12 November 2018
Former flag of Şişli, horizontal and vertical version - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 30 November 2017
The former flag of Şişli (photo), also used vertically (photo) was white with the municipality's former emblem. "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
Tomislav Šipek, 30 November 2017
Flag of the Şişli City Council - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 22 November 2018
The flag of the Şişli City Council (photo) is white with the council's emblem. "Kent Konseyi" means "City Council".
Tomislav Šipek, 22 November 2018
Flag of Şişli Vocational School - Image by Tomislav Šipek, 21 July 2020
The flag of Şişli Vocational School (photo) is white with the school's emblem.
Tomislav Šipek, 21 July 2020