Last modified: 2020-09-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: beşiktaş |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Beşiktaş, three versions - Images by Tomislav Šipek, 27 October 2017
The municipality of Beşiktaş (186,067 inhabitants in 2012; 2,133 ha) is located on the European shore of Bosphorus.
Ivan Sache, 21 February 2016
The flag of Beşiktaş, used horizontally or vertically (photo), is made of the municipality's embem. The emblem is also shown on a white horizontal flag (photo). "Belediyesi" means "Municipality".
The emblem of the municipality features the Gate of the Treasury (Hazine-i Hassa Kapısı) of the Dolmabahçe Palace (photo), erected from 1843 to 1856 by the 31st Ottoman Sultan, Abdulmecid (1839-1861). The palace was divided into three sections, the State Apartments, the Ceremonial Hall, and the Imperial Harem. The place of death of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the palace was used as the seat of the Presidency of the Republic from 1927 to 1938. The Dolmabahçe Palace was transformed into a palace-museum in 1984 (official website).
Tomislav Šipek & Ivan Sache, 21 February 2016
Flags of Beşiktaş JK - Images by Ivan Sache & António Martins, 6 November 2016
Beşiktaş Gymnastics Club (Beşiktaş Jimnastik Kulübü), established in 1903, is probably the oldest Turkish sports club. Its football department won the Turkish championship in the super-league 11 times between 1957 and 2009, and also the Turkish amateur championship four times between 1934 and 1988.
The flag of Beşiktaş JK is horizontally divided black-white-black-white-black, with the national flag in canton, two-stripe wide.
Another club's flag of the same design (photo) is charged with the club's emblem in the center.
The club's supporters also use a flag horizontally divided black-white-black (1:2:1) with the club's emblem in the middle (photo).
The emblem is made of a shield outlined in black and white, vertically divided black-white-black-white-black. The letters "BJK" appears in chief in counterchanged colours. The year of foundation, "1903", appears in base with two digits in the central stripe. inbetween is a red inescutcheon charged with a white crescent pointing upawards and ensigned by a white five-pointed star.
Dov Gutterman, Jarig Bakker, Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 9 December 2016
Flag of the Terakki Foundation Schools - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 August 2019
Terakki Foundation Schools (website) were established in Salonica in 1877 by a group of prominent Turkish businessmen as a private school under the
name of Mekteb-i Terakki meaning Terakki School, the word "terakki"
being equivalent to “progress”. The school then offered elementary and
The school administration consisted of a committee having the principles and structure of a foundation. The committee was, at the same time, one of the first few non-governmental organizations established in Salonica and it set out its own administrative principles by preparing a charter. According to these principles, the students and teachers of the schools would be under the supervision of this committee and be inspected twice a week by two of the committee members. The goal set was to raise young people with good morals who speak foreign languages, who are entrepreneurs and are knowledgeable about business.
On 27 March 1880 the name of the school was changed as Salonica Terakki
School and the school started offering a high school program after
middle school. Becoming one of the impressive schools of Salonica due to
its rapid development and the quality of the education offered, the
Salonica Terakki School opened a boarding school and a section for
female students upon the request of parents. At the beginning of the
20th century, the school’s name changed as Yadigar-ı Terakki Ticaret
Mektebi meaning “The Token of Progress Business School”.
In 1912 Salonica was undergoing a turbulent time due to the Balkan War. The Muslim Turkish community of the city had to immigrate to the eastern regions, primarily to İstanbul and İzmir, because of the war, pressure, and turbulence. Following the Lausanne Treaty in 1923 the last section of the Terakki School in Salonica named Yalılar was shut down just like the other Turkish properties.
However, four years before the last section in Salonica was closed down
another school that embodied Terakki spirit was established in İstanbul.
A groups of young people who studied at Salonica Terakki School and
emigrated to İstanbul during the Balkan War established a school titled
Şişli Language School on 5 April 1919 to continue the tradition of their previous school as a home of wisdom and to help younger generations
undergo the same tradition.
In 1921, the school’s name was changed as Şişli Terakki School. A committee made up of founding and protective members called Encümen was administering this school just like it was when it was first founded. On 17 March 1934 the Şişli Terakki School was handed over to the limited company with the same name. This was a formal handover because the partners of the company had signed a written contract stating that they would never ask for a dividend that suited the soul and principles of Terakki.
In 1963 the company was transformed into a “facility” which was the legal term for “foundation”. In 1967 Law No. 903 enabled establishing a “foundation” and Terakki Facilities were turned into a Terakki Foundation and the school was started being managed by this foundation.
Terakki Foundation Schools has been serving as a preschool, primary school, and high school with modern facilities in Levent, one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in İstanbul since 1994-1995 academic year. From 2014-2015 academic year and on the new campus in Tuzla/Tepeören will start serving as a school in preschool, primary, middle, and high school levels.
The flag of the Terakki Foundation Schools (photo) is white with the school's emblem.
Ivan Sache, 28 August 2019