Last modified: 2013-11-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: buddhism | karma ling institute |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
images by Ivan Sache, 3 May 2006
The Karma Ling Institute is a center of "dharma" (study and practice of
Buddha's teaching) located in the French Alps.
In 1084, Saint Bruno founded the first Charterhouse near Grenoble, in
Dauphiny. In 1173, his disciples founded an hermitage in an isolated
valley of the massif of Belledonne, near the village of Arvillard, on
the border of Dauphiny and Savoy. The hermitage was later transformed
into the Saint Hugon Charterhouse.
In 1979, a group of French Buddhists decided to revive the study and
teaching spirit of the Carthusians and purchased the abandoned
monastery. They asked Kyabdjé Kalou Rimpotché, the main keeper of the
Changpa Kagyu lineage, to found a center of "dharma". He appointed his
Western disciple Lama Denys Teundroup spiritual director of the
The Karma Ling Institute, which depends on the Dachang Rimé
Brotherhood (officially recognized by the French State since 1994), is
today one of the main centers of "dharma" in France and Europe. The
Dalai Lama stayed there twice, in 1993 and 1997. The Institute pays a
particular attention to the transcription, translation and publication
of Tibetan traditional texts
The Karma Ling Institute was featured in a short documentary part of the TV magazine "Chroniques d'en-haut" (France 3/TV5; Spring 2006). The garden of the Institute is decorated with two parallel rows of vertical banners hoisted from the long side (like Swiss "Knatterfahnen"). The banners have a main coloured field and a black stripe on top, charged with five white discs placed horizontally. The banners seen on TV were orange, yellow, blue, light blue and white. This list of colours might not be comprehensive.
Ivan Sache, 3 May 2006