Last modified: 2018-12-15 by rob raeside
Keywords: kampen |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
adopted 25 Jan 1973
Kampen is an old city at the mouth of the IJssel river in Overijssel province in the Netherlands. It was a member of the Hanseatic League and it has retained its medieval character.
Its present flag is white over blue, adopted in 1973.
In 1380 a letter was written in which was mentioned, that "our sign is white and blue". In the councilhouse is a chimney with a WB flag dated 1545.
However a flagbook of 1686 "Insignia Navalis, Lt. Gradon's collection of Naval Flags and Colours", a manuscript owned by the Pepys Library, Magdalena College, Cambridge, UK, shows a flag with two stripes white and red.
The colors white and blue are derived from the municipal arms. White
and red however are the Austrian colors, granted to the city in 1495, when
Emperor Maximilian elevated the city of Kampen to an Imperial Free City.
A Kamper flag of blue with a yellow cross occurs in Hesman's flagchart of 1708. Was that the Kamper Hansa flag?
Source: Sierksma's Nederlands Vlaggenboek, 1962 [sie62].
Jarig Bakker, 2 Jul 2003
The Guide Vert Michelin Hollande shows a map of Kampen (then called
Campen), unfortunately undated, with in the upper right corner a shield
with a fortified gate. The Guide also mentions the old butcher's shop (Oude
Vleeshuys), located Oudestraat 119, with the municipal arms on the facade,
dated 1596: a fortified gate flanked by two lions.
Ivan Sache, 4 Jul 2003
first used 6 Sep 1938