Last modified: 2020-04-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: portillo de toledo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Portillo de Toledo - Image by by "Asqueladd", Wikimedia Commons, 11 September 2019
The municipality of Portillo de Toledo (2,188 inhabitants in 2018; 2,000 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km north-west of Toledo and 15 km north-east of Torrijos.
Portillo was first mentioned, as Portellu, in a Mozarab document dated 1145 and in a Christian document dated 1152. The village appears to have been established by Christians, allegedly from Asturias, after the reconquest of Toledo by Alfonso VI in 1085.
Portillo was ran by the Council of Toledo, as evidenced by its name, "de Toledo". The villagers struggled for decades to maintain their independence from any feudal lord. Juan de Ayala acquired a plot in Portillo and proclaimed himself "lord of the whole Portillo" on 23 October 1491, replacing the officials appointed by the Council of Toledo by his own. The village revolted against his son, Diego López de Ayala, a familiar of the Catholic Monarchs. A long lawsuit confirmed both the rights of the inhabitants of Portillo and the official rule of Ayala. Upset by the resistance of the villagers, the Ayala eventually sold the village to the Duke of Maqueda, who became the unofficial lord of Portillo.
In 1642, Philip IV sold Portillo to Agustín Sarmiento de Sotomayor, Knight of the Order of Saint James and lord of San Salvador de Sabredo (Galicia). Portillo was granted the status of villa and made the capital of a Viscounty, which increased the fame of the town. The viscount was succeeded by his son, Francisco Sarmiento de Sotomayor y de los Ríos, one of the governors of the town of Lima, who was made Count of Portillo in 1670. In May 1739, a lawsuit opposed the descendants of the Count for the control of the town; in 1747, Joseph Joachín Domingo Sarmiento, from Córdoba, was proclaimed 3rd Count of Portillo in 1747.
Ivan Sache, 10 September 2019
The flag of Portillo de Toledo (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 11 July 2000 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 July 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 71, p. 7,051 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, twice longer than wide, green, crossed by a bend compony white and red.
The Royal Academy of History rejected the proposed flag, which reprduces the second quarter of the municipal arms but alters its background color. When a flag reproduces a coat of arms or one of its quarters, the colors of the field shall be kept.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 197:2, 351. 2000]
The coat of arms of Portillo de Toledo is prescribed by an Order issued on 5 October 1992 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 21 July 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 71, p. 7,051 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
On 25 September 1982, the weekly La Voz del Tajo illustrated a special issue dedicated to Portillo with a coat of arms inspired from the arms of the Portillo lineage, featuring a castle with a greyhound tied to the gate over waves and surrounded by two pines.
[José Luis Ruz Márquez & Ventura Leblic García. Heraldica municipal de la Provincia de Toledo. 1983; Municipal website]
Ivan Sache, 11 September 2019