Last modified: 2016-05-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: el molar |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag ofEl Molar - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 July 2015
The municipality of El Molar (7,983 inhabitants in 2014; 5,030 ha; municipal website) is located in the north-east of the Community of Madrid, 40 km of Madrid.
El Molar was probably established in the 8th century by shepherds from Segovia, as a group of four estates (Aristón, Casas Viejas, Valdelarría, and Mola / El Molar). El Molar gained more significance in the 12th century because of its strategic location, between four hills watching a crossing of roads. After the Christian reconquest, El Molar depended on Talamanca, and, therefore, of the Archbishop of Toledo. Philip II granted in 1564 the status of villa to El Molar, which was separated from Talamanca and acquired by Antonio de Equino y Zubiarre, lord of Beroiz, and his wife, from Azcoitia (Guipuzcoa, Basque Country). The limits of the territories of El Molar, Talamanca,El Vellón and Valdetorres were fixed three years later.
The healing properties of the water from the Bull's Fountain were first reported in 1697. They generated a flow of visitors to El Molar, especially in the first third of the 20th century, which ended with the closure of the spa during the Civil War.
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2015
The flag of El Molar (photos, photo, photo) is light blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The flag does not appear to have been officially approved.
The coat of arms of El Molar is prescribed by Royal Decree No. 872, adopted on 10 April 1975 and published on 25 April 1975 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 99, p. 8,721 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or a bull sable issuant a water spring argent fimbriated azure in base wavy azure and argent, 2a. Or a fess gules, 2b. Gules a bend or charged with six trompillas vert cantonned by four wolves sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The Royal Academyof History approved the proposed arms, which could, however, have been simpler. The first quarter represents the Bull's Fountain, while the second quarter alludes to the Beroiz.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1976, 183, 2: 416]
The arms of the Beroiz family are "Quarterly, 1. and 4. Or a fess gules, 2. and 3. Gules a bend or cantonned by four wolves sable".
[H. Lamant-Duhart. Armorial du Pays Basque]
Ivan Sache, 14 July 2015