Last modified: 2016-06-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: torreperogil |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Torreperogil - Image from the Símbolos de Jaén website, 6 December 2015
The municipality of Torreperogil (7,649 inhabitants in 2013; 9,010 ha; municipal website) is located 70 km east of Jaén.
Torreperogil was known as Torre de Hamdón, named for Mohamad Hamdón, who was appointed Alcalde of Baeza after the loss of the tower to the Christians. Ferdinand III the Saint granted the domain to Pero Gil de Zático, as a reward for his contribution, together with his brother Pero Payo, to the conquest of Baeza (1227) and Úbeda (1234).
Ivan Sache, 6 December 2015
The flag of Torreperogil (photo), adopted on 29 January 2015 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 13 February 2015 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 17 February 2015 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 26 February 2015 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 39, p. 126 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Blood red with the illustration of the municipal coat of arms, which divides the flag into two stripes in the left part of the central line.
Colours: Red b2561b, golden yellow d8b171, yellow (crown) dfa 543, and blue (water) 022135.
The coat of arms of Torreperogil is prescribed by Decree No. 2,024, adopted on 24 July 1975 by the Spanish Government and published on 2 September 1975 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 210, p. 18,5898 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The "rehabilitated" coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Or two lions rampant affronty gules ensigned by a tower of the same, 1b. Gules a sword argent in bend sinister, 2. Gules in chief a tower surrounded dexter by a tower and sinister by a lion rampant all or in base waves argent and azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The first quarter represents the first Roman tower (torre) for which the place was named, defended by two lions. Or represents the resources of the soil while red stands for the blood shed by its defenders. The sword featured in the second quarter recalls the willingness of the local knight to defend their town. The towers in the third quarter represent those erected by Pero Gil, while the lion stands for his wealth. The waves recall that his domains stretched up to river Guadalquivir.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Jaén (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 6 December 2015