Last modified: 2019-01-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: baeza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Baeza - Image from the Símbolos de Jaén website, 30 November 2015
The municipality of Baeza (16,167 inhabitants in 2008; 19,430 ha; municipal website) is located at the geographic center of the Jaén Province, 50 km north-west of Jaén.
Together with the neighbouring town of Úbeda, Baeza was registered on the World Heritage List of UNESCO (Renaissance Monumental Ensembles of Úbeda and Baeza), with the following notice:
The urban morphology of the two small cities of Úbeda and Baeza in southern Spain dates back to the Moorish 9th century and to the Reconquista in the 13th century. An important development took place in the 16th century, when the cities were subject to renovation along the lines of the emerging Renaissance. This planning intervention was part of the introduction into Spain of new humanistic ideas from Italy, which went on to have a great influence on the architecture of Latin America.
Justification for Inscription Criterion.
The 16th-century examples of architectural and urban design in Úbeda and Baeza were instrumental in introducing the Renaissance ideas to Spain. Through the publications of Andréa Vandelvira, the principal project architect, these examples were also diffused to Latin America.
The central areas of Úbeda and Baeza constitute outstanding early examples of Renaissance civic architecture and urban planning in Spain in the early 16th century.
Ivan Sache, 3 July 2009
The flag (photo,
photo) and arms of Baeza, adopted on 4 December 2007 by the Municipal Council and submitted the same day to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 12 December 2007 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 2 January 2008 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 1, p. 19 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, purple. In the middle the municipal coat of arms surrounded by the writing "Baeza Ciudad Patrimonio Humanidad" [Baeza World Heritage Town]
Coat of arms: Gules a gate flanked by two towers; between the towers a saltire surmounted by the Cross of the Holy Spirit all argent. The gate charged with two keys argent; port and windows azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open.
The flag, as seen in the Mayor's office (video), appears to be used without the prescribed white writing.
The coat of arms recalls that the town was reconquerred on St. Andrew's day [30 November 1226], the saltire being the symbol of the saint. According to Argote de Molina, the patriarchal cross appeared to the Christians during the siege of Baeza. The oldest representation of the arms of Baeza appears on a municipal seal dated 1282, kept in the Historical National Archives.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Jaén (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 30 November 2015