Last modified: 2016-12-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: trigueros |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Trigueros - Image from the Símbolos de Huelva website, 6 September 2016
The municipality of Trigueros (7,746 inhabitants in 2015; 11,830 ha; municipal website) is located 20 km north of Huelva.
Trigueros was already settled in the Age of Cooper, as evidenced by the Soto's dolmen (website), excavated in 1923 by its namesake, Armando de Soto, and registered in 1931 as a National Monument. The funerary monument is made of a single gallery of 20.90 m in length, oriented east-west, and of a man-made, circular tumulus; eight bodies were found when the mausoleum was discovered.
In the Roman times, the town was known as Conistorgis; engraved altars from the 2nd century are now exhibited in the Seville Archeological Museum. The Moorish times are recalled by the remains of an Almohad fortress (12th century), reused as the foundations of the St. Anthony Abbot church.
Trigueros was first mentioned in the 13th century, as part of the County of Niebla. The town is named for the wheat (trigo) crops that were established by the early colonists. In 1324, King Alfonso XI transferred the town to Juan Alonso de la Cerda, lord of Gibraleón. Not pleased with the transfer, Niebla purchased Trigueros on 1346 from the executor of the lord of Gibraleón. The County of Niebla, Trigueros included, was granted in 1369 by Henry II of Trastámara to Juan Alonso Pérez de Guzmán, Duke of Medina Sidonia.
The Society of Jesus founded in 1562 the Santa Catalina college, with the support of Francisco de La Palma y Araujo. The first print house in the province was set up in the college, where several evangelization expeditions to America were prepared.
Trigueros was granted the title of villa in 1768 by Charles III, separating from Niebla.
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2016
The flag (photo, photo,
photo) and arms of Trigueros, adopted on 15 September 2011 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 20 September 2011 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 3 October 2011 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 19 October 2011 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 205, p. 21 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of three parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist and a fourth, of the same width, vertical, placed along the hoist, which schematically forms with the central stripe, of the same red colour, a "tau". The colours are, on top, yellow, in the center and in the vertical stripe, red, and on bottom, green. Charged in the center with the local coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Organized per pale, 1. Or three horizontal stripes gules, 2. "Reddish" three wheat spikes the stems tied by a scroll vert, 3. Azure a tree vert with the trunk proper on a base of the same. A bordure incomplete compony of castles or on gules and lions gules on or. The shield surmounted by a Bourbon coronet and surrounded by two vegetal branches crossed beneath and tied by a scroll.
The flag follows the most usual pattern among the municipal flags in the Province of Huelva, with the addition of the vertical stripe to form a "tau", the symbol of St. Anthony Abbot, the town's patron saint. The yellow and green colours are taken from the municipal arms. Red is the colour of St. Anthony's tau.
The "rehabilitated" coat of arms is based on the emblem described in 1786 by the Vicar of Trigueros, Simón Rivero, to the geographer Tomás López (Manuscript No. 20,263, National Library). The oldest document showing the arms kept in the Municipal Archives is dated 1883; since then, the arms have been in inconstant use, even during the Civil War.
The first quarter features the arms of the Fernández de Córdoba. The wheat spikes and the tree, here an olive tree, represent the rural tradition of Trigueros. The bordure recalls the title of villa granted by the King of Spain.
[Revista de San Antonio Abad, 2011]
The coat of arms in current use has a blue bordure.
Ivan Sache, 6 September 2016