Last modified: 2016-05-31 by ivan sache
Keywords: posadas |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Posadas - Image from the Símbolos de Córdoba website, 21 September 2015
The municipality of Posadas (7,554 inhabitants in 2013; 16,028 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km west of Córdoba.
Posadas was believed to have been the Roman oppidum of Detumo, part of the Conventus Cordubensis. However, Detumo was located between Carbula (Almodóvar del Río) and the estuary of Genil, but on the left bank of Guadalquivir. There is no evidence of a Roman town on the today's site of Posadas; however, mines of copper and argentiferous lead were already exploited at the time, while olive trees were grown in villae, whose remains have been founded in different places (El Botijón, Vista Alegre, Mingaobez and La Corregidora).
In the Muslim times, the place, known as Al-Janadiq (The Gorges) and subsequently renamed Al-Fanadiq (The Inns), was located on the Caliphal Road that linked Córdoba to Seville via the upper bank of river Guadalquivir, crossing Almodóvar del Río, Posadas and Palma del Río. Abd Al-Rahmman I used that road when conquering Córdoba. Threatened by the Christians, the settlement was abandoned in the last third of the 12th century.
After the reconquest of Córdoba in 1236, the neighbouring areas were occupied during the second stay of Ferdinand III in Córdoba (1240-1241). Alfonso X resettled the strategic place; mentioned as Las Posadas del Rey (The King's Inns) in 1262. The Caliphal Road became the Royal Road, while several inns were built to accommodate the travellers. The area was protected by several small fortresses erected in the 14th century, such as the Octagonal Tower, watching the mountain road to La Carlota, and the Guadacabrilla Tower, an outpost of the castle of Almodóvar, watching the Royal Road.
The village of Rivera de Posadas, located 3 km from Posadas, was established in 1956-1958 when the estate known as La Palma de Ochavo was expropriated and divided into irrigated plots. The owners of the plots moved to the new village in 1965-1966.
Ivan Sache, 21 September 2015
The flag (photo) and arms of Posadas, adopted on 2 February 1995 by the Municipal Council and revised on 6 February 1997 as suggested on 29 June 1995 by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 17, adopted on 3 February 1998 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 26 February 1998 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 23 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel in proportions 11:18, divided into two equal stripes by a line perpendicular to the hoist, the first stripe blue and the second stripe yellow with three red horizontal stripes. The local coat of arms placed in the center of the first, blue stripe.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure a wall argent masoned sable ensigned with a castle of the same masoned and port and windows sable with three towers the central tower higher than the lateral ones, 2. Or three fesses gules.. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
The coat of arms was designed by Juan José Antequera Luengo.
The castle and the wall recall defence against the permanent Muslim threat. The sinister part of the shield is made of the arms of the Fernández de Córdoba, lords of Posadas from the 16th to the 19th century.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Córdoba (PDF file)]
Ivan Sache, 21 September 2015