This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Berrocalejo (Municipality, Extremadura, Spain)

Last modified: 2020-11-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: berrocalejo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Berrocalejo - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 March 2020

See also:

Presentation of Berrocalejo

The municipality of Berrocalejo (113 inhabitants in 2016, 1,428 ha; municipal website) is located 140 km northeast of Cáceres and 30 km of Navalmoral de la Mata, on the border with Castilla-La Mancha (Province of Ávila).
The village, named for rocky outcrops (berrocales) common in the area, is mostly surrounded by Lake Valdecaña, established in 1965.

Berrocalejo was settled by the Vettones and subsequent peoples, as evidenced by remains (fortified camp, rock tombs) found in Rivero de Peñaflor, on the bank of river Tagus.
Alfonso X the Wise transferred Berrocalexo in 1275 to Esteban Pérez. The village was transferred, as part of Plasencia, in 1425 by John II to Pedro de Stuñiga / Zúñiga. His second son, Diego de Zúñiga, 1st Count of Miranda, inherited the domains. Gutierre de Cárdenas, Minister of Finanaces of the Catholic Monarchs, established in 1530 a domain encompassing Berrocalejo, El Gordo and Valdeverdeja.
The Royal Decree of 30 November 1853 establishing the modern Spanish provinces transferred Berrocalejo form the Province of Ávila to the Province of Cáceres.

Ivan Sache, 19 March 2020

Flag of Berrocalejo

The flag and rehabilitated arms of Berrocalejo, adopted on 30 November 1992 and 8 June 1993 by the Municipal Council and validated on 22 September 1993 by the Assessing Council of Honors and Distinctions of the Government of Extremadura, are prescribed by an Order issued on 2 November 1993 by the Government of Extremadura and published on 13 November 1993 in the official gazette of Extremadura, No. 132, pp. 3,045-3,046 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Made of five horizontal stripes, white, green, white, blue, and white, in respective proportions 1/8, 1/8, 1/2, 1/8 ans 1/8.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Argent a rocky area proper, 2. Azure a bridge argent over waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The berrocal makes the arms canting. The bridge represents the Count's bridge (111 m in length, 36 m in high), erected over river Tagus by the Romans in the 2nd century BC.
[Municipal website]

The flag in actual use (photo) is charged with the municipal coat of arms.

Ivan Sache, 19 March 2020