Last modified: 2020-02-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: el tiemblo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of El Tiemblo (4,302 inhabitants in 2010, therefore the 7th most populus municipality in the province; 7,500 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Community< of Mardrid/A>, 45 km south-east of Ávila.
El Tiemblo was settled by the Vettones Celtiberian tribe. No remains of any settlement have been found yet, but the famous Bulls of Guisando are a strong evidence of the Vettones colonization. The Bulls of Guisando, a set of granite sculptures made in the 2nd century BC by the Vettones, are located on the today's municipal territory of El Tiemblo. In Don Quixote, Chapter XIV, the Knight of the Grove amazes Don Quixote, claiming among several other exploits that he "lifted the bulls of Guisando".
In the 9th century, El Tiemblo was located on the border between the
Christian and Muslim kingdoms. Following the seizure of Toledo in 1085, King Alfonso VI resettled the reconquerred areas with colonists from La Rioja, Soria, Burgos, Cantabria, Medina, Navarra and Jews as well. In 1273, King Alfonso X the Wise reorganized the transhumance roads (cañadas) used by the shepherds; near El Tiemblo, the road crossed river Alberche on the twin bridges of Valsordo and Santa Yusta, built in the 13th-14th centuries and in the 16th century, respectively.
Hermits of Italian origin settled in 1353 in natural caves, attempting to remain isolated; however, the fame of the so-called "Guisando Blessed" increased and they founded in 1375 a monastery often visited by the monarchs On 2 July 1445, El Tiemblo was granted the title of villa by John II. The Treaty of the Bulls of Guisando was signed on 18 September 1468: Henry IV of Castile granted the title of Princess of Asturias to Isabel of Castile, thus ending the civil war in Castile.
Ivan Sache, 25 June 2011
The flag (photo, photo) and arms (image) of El Tiemblo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 July 1995 by the Provincial Government and published on 7 August 1995 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 150 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, of 1 m on 2 m, blue with a green mount, whose dimension in the northern or upper part is separated of 1/6, the same in the southern part, without touching the edges. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Two oval adjacent shields on an antique cartel surmounted with a warrior in base a lion's head.
First shield: [Per fess, 1.] Azure a tower or terraced vert issuing a child king holding a sceptre and crowned or [, 2.] on a terrace vert a stone bull proper.
Second shield: Per fess, 1. Quarterly a. and d. Vert a saltire or, b. Or a pomegranate* open two leaves proper, c. Gules a key or, 2. Azure a tower or.
The whole surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
*On the second shield, the pomegranate has been replaced by a bunch of grapes.
Ivan Sache, 25 June 2011