This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

San Miguel de Corneja (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: san miguel de corneja |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of San Miguel de Corneja - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 February 2014

See also:

Presentation of San Miguel de Corneja

The municipality of San Miguel de Corneja (75 inhabitants in 2012; 600 ha) is located in the southwest of Ávila Province, 60 km of Ávila.
San Miguel de Corneja was incorporated in the 14th century in the Community of the Town and Land of Piedrahíta, as an independent village, which was granted privileges in 1246. The village was subsequently incorporated into the domain of Valdecorneja, ruled by the Álvarez de Toledo, later Dukes of Alba, until the suppression of the feudal system in the 19th century..

Ivan Sache, 24 February 2014

Symbols of San Miguel de Corneja

The flag and arms of San Miguel de Corneja, designed by Félix Martínez Llorente, were officially unveiled on 25 September 2010. The design of the symbols was partially funded by Institución Gran Duque de Alba, an outfit of the provincial government (Diario de Ávila, 26 September 2010).

The flag (photo; image) is red with a yellow castle ensigned with Archangel St. Michael. Along the hoist are placed two columns of five square each, in turn blue and white.
The coat of arms is "Gules a castle or port and windows azure ensigned with a St. Michael argent haloed or holding dexter a sword argent and sinister an oval shield argent charged with a cross gules. A bordure checky azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown". The flag is, therefore, derived from the coat of arms.

Ivan Sache, 24 February 2014