Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: san esteban del valle | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of San Esteban del Valle - Image by Ivan Sache, 8 February 2011
The municipality of San Esteban del Valle (865 inhabitants in 2009; 3,700 ha; municipal website) is located in the south of Ávila Province.
San Esteban del Valle was most probably resettled at the end of the
11th century, although there is no historical record of the place
before the 15th century. In the early 16th century, the village was
known as San Esteban del Castañar.
San Esteban del Valle was granted on 30 August 1693 the title of villa by King Charles II. The granite pillory erected in the 17th century symbolizes municipal independence.
San Esteban del Valle is the birth place of the Franciscan missionary St. Peter Baptist (Pedro Bautista, 1542-1597), one of the Twenty-Six Martyrs of Japan, executed on 5 February 1597 in Nagasaki, canonized on 8 June 1862 by Pope Pius IX. The saint's martyr has been recalled every year in the village since the early 17th century by the El Vítor festival.
Ivan Sache, 8 February 2011
The flag and arms of San Esteban del Valle (municipal website) are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 30 October 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 30 January 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 9 February 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 29, p. 2,306 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, horizontally divided red-white. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms in full colors.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Per fess, 1. Gules a bust of St. Peter Baptist or over two spears argent per saltire a palm or in the dexter hand a cross of the same in the sinister hand, 2. Or a chestnut vert eradicated fructed gules. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The lances recall that the Twenty-Six Martyrs were raised on crosses and pierced through with spears. The chestnut (castaño) recalls the early name of the village.
Ivan Sache, 15 January 2011