This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sotillo de la Adrada (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: sotillo de la adrada | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Sotillo de la Adrada

The municipality of Sotillo de la Adrada (4,775 inhabitants in 2010; 4,396 ha; municipal website) is located in the southest of Ávila Province, 80 km of Ávila.

Sotillo is mentioned in the Ávila Chronicle as the place of a big victory of the Ávila knights over the Moors, but there is no detail helping to localize the battlefield. What it sure is that the villagers of Sotillo were shepherds, as recorded in a document dated 1182, when Count of Galicia Raymond of Burgundy resettled Ávila Province.
Located close to the then bigger village of La Adrada, Sotillo did not have a proper municipal council until 1571. Complete municipal autonomy (title of villa with charter) was granted on 7 February 1642 by King Philip IV. Due to the fertility of its soil, Sotillo quickly outgrew La Adrada; located half way of Madrid and Ávila, the town experienced a demographic boom at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. Sotillo de la Adrada is now the 6th most populous municipality in Ávila Province.

Ivan Sache, 18 March 2011

Flag of Sotillo de la Adrada

The flag of Sotillo de la Adrada is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 3 May 1999 by the Municipal Council, signed on 6 May 1999 by the Mayor, and published on 21 May 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 96, p. 5,485 (text).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag with proportions 1:1, crimson, in the middle the municipal coat of arms in full colors on a white background.

Ivan Sache, 18 March 2011