This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Higuera de las Dueñas (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2014-12-27 by ivan sache
Keywords: higuera de las dueñas | ávila |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Higuera de las Dueñas - Image by Ivan Sache, 5 March 2011, coat of arms after "SanchoPanzaXXI" (Wikimedia Commons)

See also:

Presentation of Higuera de las Dueñas

The municipality of Higuera de las Dueñas (329 inhabitants in 2010; 3,518 ha; unofficial page) is located in the southeast of Ávila Province, on the borders with the Toledo Province and Madrid Autonomous Community, 80 km of Ávila.

Higuera de las Dueñas was granted in 1320 to Clement de las Dueñas, the grant being confirmed in 1328 by King Sancho IV. On 23 May 1430, the domain was transferred to Álvaro de Luna. Subsequent lords of Higuera de las Dueñas were, among others, Count Juan de Luna (1453) and Isabel de Manrique, Marchioness of Montesclaros, on behalf of her son Juan de Mendoza y Luna.

Ivan Sache, 5 March 2011

Symbols of Higuera de las Dueñas

The flag (photo) and arms of Higuera de las Dueñas are prescribed by a Decree signed on 12 March 2000 by the Mayor and published on 2 May 2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 83, p. 4,890 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular panel, with proportions 1:1, crimson. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms, in full colors.
Coat of arms: Gules a fig tree [higuera] fructed or over a crozier or per pale, in chief the arms of the Mendoza lineage, Dukes of the Infantado and Marquis of Montesclaros: Quarterly per saltire, 1. and 4. Vert a bend or charged with a cotice gules, 2. and 3. Or the motto azure 'Ave María' 'Gratia Plena'. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

Diego Hurtado de Mendoza y Figueroa (1415/1417-1479), the elder son of Íñigo López de Mendoza, First Marquis of Santillana, was made Duke of the Infantado (full title, "Duque de las Cinco Villas del Estado del Infantado") in 1475; subsequently, the Dukes of the Infantado were made first-rank Grandees of Spain, and were therefore allowed to wear their hat in the presence of the king. Íñigo de Arteaga y Martín (b. 1941) is the 19th Duke of the Infantado.
"Vert a bend gules fimbriated or" are the oldest known arms of Mendoza; subsequently modified several times, the arms always included a red bend on a green field. The arms quartered per saltire were introduced by the first Marquis of Santillana and appear on a seal dated 1440; the marquis quartered his father's arms (Mendoza) with his mother's arms (de la Vega). His descendants were known as Mendoza de Guadalajara or Mendoza de l'Ave María. In the representations of these arms, the first quarter is inscribed with "AVE MARÍA" while the third quarter is inscribed with "PLENA GRATIA" (or, at least "GRATIA").
[After José Luis García de Paz (UAM), Los poderosos Mendoza website]

Ivan Sache, 5 March 2011