This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Ernsgaden (Germany)

Gemeinde Ernsgaden, Kreis Pfaffenhofen, Oberbayern District, Bavaria

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: ernsgaden | fess(dancetty) | tower(silver) | oak(leaf) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Ernsgaden municipal banner] 2:1 image by Jens Pattke, 2 Apr 2001
approved 22 October 1981 See also:

Municipality of Ernsgaden

Ernsgaden Banner

Description of banner:
It is a red - white -red vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Apr 2014

Ernsgaden Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess into silver (= white) and green. The dexter half is divided by a red fess dancetty. The sinister half displays an embattled silver (= white) tower with three oak leaves issuant of the same colour, coming out from the central pinnacle.
The fess dancetty is taken from the arms of the Benedictine Nuns' Monastery of Geisenfeld, which had been established by Count Eberhard of Ebersberg in 1037. Ernsgaden was one of its estates. The monastery kept special privileges until 1803. The tower is a canting element, alluding to a house like a tower, a "Gaden" in the local language, which had been established by a certain Ernst in the 10th century. Margrave Ernst the Younger donated Ernsgaden to the monastery mentioned above. Members of the Wittelsbach kin became its administrators (Vögte) around 1130. The fess dancetty also displays the allodial arms of the Wittelsbach kin. The leaves are symbolizing Feilenforst, a local forest and hunting ground.
Source: Martin Sedlmeier: "Wappen des Landkreises Pfaffenhofen a.d.Ilm" (D'Hopfakirm 32), Pfaffenhofen 2003, pp.10 f.

Flag and coat of arms were approved by the district government of Oberbayern on 22 October 1981.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 5 Apr 2014

back to Pfaffenhofen cities and municipalities click here