This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Burgkunstadt City (Germany)

Stadt Burgkunstadt, Landkreis Lichtenfels, Bayern

Last modified: 2020-09-12 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: burgkunstadt | wall | tower | house |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Burgkunstadt city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2020
See also:

Burgkunstadt City

Burgkunstadt Banner

It is a red-white-blue vertical tricolour. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2020

Burgkunstadt Coat of Arms

Shield Azure, on top of an embattled wall Argent with port Azure an embattled tower Argent with roof Gules, flanked by two houses of the same.
Kunstadt Castle was first mentioned in 1059, when it was passed by the Counts of Schweinfurt onto the Bishopric of Bamberg. It was seat of a district and was called a city since 1325. The first seal print from 1350 displayed a wall with closed port and a tower, flanked by a house topped by crosslets. Wall and tower probably are representing the castle, the house probably the local church. The seal had a circumscription "S. CIVIVM CIVITATIS IN BWRCVNSTAT". The 2nd house appeared first on a seal from 1450 and the port since then is open. The castle had been seat of the Lords of Kunstadt and the Lords of Ebneth. The current pattern appeared on the Role of Vassals of the Bishopric of Bamberg in 1603 and in a painting from 1812.
Source: Klemens Stadler and Albrecht von und zu Egloffstein: "Die Wappen der oberfränkischen Landkreise, Städte, Märkte und Gemeinden" ( published in: "Die Plassenburg, Schriften für Heimatforschung und Kulturpflege in Ostfranken" vol.48), Kulmbach 1990, p.182
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2020

The arms are in use since the 14th century.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2020

back to Lichtenfels cities and municipalities click here