This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Elbe-Elster County (Germany)

Landkreis Elbe-Elster, Brandenburg

Last modified: 2020-05-30 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: elbe-elster | herzberg(county) | per fess(9 times) | bull(reguardant) | lion(black) | eagle(red) | crancelin | water lily(leaf) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Elbe-Elster county flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013 See also:

Elbe-Elster County

Elbe-Elster County Flag

The ratio is 2:3. It is a black - yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(3) of Hauptsatzung of Elbe-Elster County, version 7 February 2006
Klaus-Michael Schneider,, 17 Nov 2013

Elbe-Elster County Vertical Flag

[Elbe-Elster county vertical flag] 5:2 a href="xf-fis.html#fiavcode"> image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013

It is a black over yellow horizontalal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: 2(3) of Hauptsatzung of Elbe-Elster County, version 7 February 2006
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013

Elbe-Elster County Coat of Arms

Shield is quarterly divided, Above right and below left nine times parted per fess of Or and Sable (i.e. ten horizontal stripes), above left Argent a bull passant reguardant Gules armed Or, below right Or is a lion rampant Sable armed and tongued Gules.
Source: 2(1) of Hauptsatzung of Elbe-Elster County, version 7 February 2006
Meaning:
The territory of the current county belonged to Saxony for centuries, until it became a part of Prussia in 1815. In order to incorporate the area more quickly, it was split up into two parts, belonging to the Prussian Provinces of Saxony and Brandenburg. These areas were forced to merge within the Cottbus District of the GDR under communist rule in 1952. The lion is taken from the arms of Margraviate of Meißen, the bull of Luckau is alluding to Lower Lusatia (Niederlausitz). The black and golden stripes go back to Saxe-Wittenberg, which existed since the 12th century. The order of stipes, beginning with a golden stripe above, is taken from the arms of the Prussian province of Saxony. The bull is also symbolizing the former subcounties (Ämter) of Doberlug, Finsterwalde und Sonnewalde. The colours white and red in the fourth field are those of Brandenburg. Source: county's webpage
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013

Flag, banner and coat of arms were approved on 24 April 1995 by Minister of Interior of Brandenburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Nov 2013


Herzberg County (1952 - 1993)

Herzberg County Banner

[Herzberg County banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Dec 2019

It was a red-white vertical bicolour. The coat of arms was slightly shifted to the top.
Source: Erwin Günther: "Wappen und Flaggen der Stadt- und Landkreise Brandenburgs und der ehemaligen Grenzmark Posen-Westpreußen", Erfurt 1998, p.59
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Dec 2019

Herzberg Coat of Arms

Shield Argent, an eagle Gules, armed and tongued Or with cloverstems Or upon his wings, and partially superimposed by two inescutcheon, the dexter one barry of 11 of Sable and Or superimposed by a crancelin Vert, the sinister one Argent charged with three water lily leaves Gules ordered 2:1.
Meaning:
The eagle is that one of Brandenburg. The dexter inescutcheon displays the arms of Saxony, the sinister one those of the Counts of Brehna. All charges are referring to local rulers in the past.
Source:
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Dec 2019

The banner was never approved officially, it was a gift from the West German county of Höxter, which was twinned with Herzberg. The arms were approved on 8 February 1991 by Minister of Interior of Brandenburg.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 Dec 2019


back to Brandenburg County and Municipal Flags click here.