Last modified: 2014-03-17 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bamberg | knight | st. george | inescutcheon | eagle | flag | cross(red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Red over white [horizontally], deliberately with or without the arms.
Dieter Linder, 18 November 1998
A red-white banner [hanging flag] with the arms. Sources: flag from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1964-1971.
Stefan Schwoon, 6 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted in 1953 and are based on the oldest known seal, known since 1211. The knight is St. George, the patron saint of the city, the small shield shows the arms of the Counts of Andechs-Meranien, who ruled the city in the 13th century. In the 15th and 16th century the seal sometimes showed Emperor Heinrich II instead of St. George. From the late 15th century the composition was also used as arms of the city. Previously the city used the lion of the Abbey and State of Bamberg (see Bamberg county) as city arms. Even though the composition of the arms thus did not change since the 15th century, the colours of the eagle changed regularly.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 15 January 2002
back to Bavarian District, County and Municipal Flags Index page click here