Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: hodonin | rose |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The Hodonin flag can be found at this site.
Adopted 29 Mar 1995.
Dov Gutterman, 6 Mar 2000
Hodonín is a town of 28 341 inhabitants. District town in the Lower
Moravian vale at the border with Slovakia, industrial, trade and banking
centre of Slovácko. After extinction of the Great Moravian Empire the water
castle in Hodonín started to be important as a guard of local important
trade route at Czech - Hungarian border. The first written reference is
from 1073. The foundation charter of the town Hodonín is from 1228 - the
town belonged to the queen Constance. The town used its good location by
the trade route from Germany to the Adriatic Sea and the Black Sea. Later
development of the town resulted in construction of new North Ferdinand's
railway in 1841, the first railway in Austria -Hungary from Vienna to Přerov
and Silesia. At the beginning of the 20th century the Association of Moravian
Fine Artists was founded. They were grouped round the painter Joža Úprka.
They organised many exhibitions of Moravian and Slovak artists. They initiated
the House of Artists (Dům umělců) (now the Gallery). Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk,
the founder of the Czechoslovak state, was born in Hodonín. The flag of
Hodonín city is nearly identical to the flag of Česky
Krumlov city, except for the shape of the rose.
Jarig Bakker, 1 May 2000