This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sainte-Apolline-de-Patton, Quebec (Canada)

Capitale-Nationale Administrative Region

Last modified: 2017-04-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: sainte-apolline-de-patton | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Sainte-Apolline-de-Patton] image located by Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017


See also:

The municipality

The municipality of Sainte-Apolline-de-Patton (542 inhabitants in 2016; 25,679 ha, therefore the second biggest municipality in Quebec by area) is located in the Appalachian mountains, 45 km of Montmagny.

Sainte-Apolline-de-Patton was first settled in 1877 by Joseph Bernier (Firmin), his brother Théophile Bernier, and William Guimont. who settled in the cantons of Bourdages and Patton, the latter named for Sir William Randall Patton, wood trader and last lord of Rivière-du-Sud. The chapel dedicated to St. Apollonia of Alexandria was first erected in 1894 and rebuilt in 1896. The church, consecrated in 1913, is the emblematic monument of the village; its spire, deemed dangerous, was suppressed in May 1948 and substituted by a big rotunda surmounted by an iron cross. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017

The flag

The arms and flags of Sainte-Apolline-de-Patton were inscribed on 16 July 2001 on the Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges, Vol. IV, p. 130. The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on February 22, 2003, in Vol. 137, p. 517 of the Canada Gazette.

Azure on a bend between in chief a sun in splendour and in base a circular saw blade or, a bendlet wavy azure

Issuant from a circlet the upper edge set alternately with maple leaves and fir twigs or, a cubit arm grasping a pair of pincers proper

A Percheron stallion and a Percheron mare proper standing on a grassy mount vert


A banner of the arms

The blue background represents the outdoors, and the sun represents the light that brightens days and causes the forests and crops to grow. The gold bend symbolises hiking and Hébertism trails and the wavy bend recalls the rivers. The sawmill wheel symbolizes the forest industry.

The pair of pincers symbolizes handicrafts and the martyrdom of St. Appolonia (Apolline) whose teeth were pulled out with pincers. The fir twigs in the coronet represent the natural resources of the forest, and the maple leaves symbolize Canada.

Horses were deemed appropriate for their important role in the forest industry, in agriculture and transport.

Meaning "Faith in the future".

Artist Information
Creator(s): Original concept of Auguste Vachon, Saint-Laurent Herald, assisted by the Heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority
Painter: Iona Jurkiewicz
Calligrapher: Suzzann Wright. - Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges

Ivan Sache, 30 March 2017