Last modified: 2021-12-24 by rob raeside
Keywords: tercero arriba department | córdoba province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the Municipality of Hernando in the Province of Cordoba, Argentina.
Valentin Poposki, 24 Jun 2006
The flag of Hernando was selected in a public contest prescribed in
2004 by Decree No. 82, based on a suggestion by Rotary Club Hernando.
The flag was designed by Carlos Boero, José Ciardelli, Alvaro
Deulofeu, Alejandro Llanes and Fernando Palmieri, from Institute Pablo
The flag was blessed and inaugurated on 19 March 2005.
The red stripe represents the coat of arms of Hernando. The celeste blue and white stripes symbolize the national flag.
The half sun, with 13 rays, of orange-yellow colour, represents light, heat and the source of life and energy.
The coat of arms of Hernando was designed on 25 May 1982 by Raúl Haedo. Its red background recalls the colour of the coat of arms of Córdoba Province.
Ivan Sache, 13 Aug 2015
The municipality of James Craik (5,110 inhabitants in 2010) is located in the center of the Córdoba Province, 110 km from Córdoba City and 35 km from Villa María.
James Craik originates in a settlement established near Lake Chañar. Following the building of a railway station, the town was moved 7 km north from its original site. The settlement was named James Craik in 1910, as a tribute to the British engineer who managed in 1881 the Argentine Central Railways Co. The Milkman's Monument, a statue inaugurated on 3 July 1999, recalls that diary is the main source of income in the region.
The flag of James Craik is horizontally divided blue-white-red. The white stripe is made of a parallelogram bordered at hoist by a blue right-angled triangle and at fly by a red right-angles triangle. The white parallelogram is charged with a green branch of chañar* surrounded by two yellow sons.
The flag was designed by Gladys Comba de Caballero.
Blue is the colour of the sky and of the national flag. Red is a symbol of passion and love of our settlement. White is a symbol of peace; also representing the political party that once ruled the town, white is associated on the flag to red, representing the party that currently rules the town. The two suns, also shown on the municipal coat of arms, represent the two brooks [Totoralejo and Azna] ["running from sunrise to sundown "de sol a sol", lit. from sun to sun] that water the town. The branch of chañar* recalls the original name of the town, Chañares.
*Geoffroea decorticans (Gillies ex Hook. & Arn.) Burkart, aka Chilean palo verde, is a small deciduous tree found in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Bolivia.
Ivan Sache, 10 Jan 2014
The municipality of Tancacha (5,184 inhabitants in 2011) is located in Tercero Arriba Department, in the center of Córdoba Province, 15 km of Río Tercero and 130 km of Córdoba City.
Tancacha was established in 15 October 1913, the day of inauguration of the local railway station. The town was named for the native words "tankay", "a jostle", and "kancha", "an enclosed are", referring to a local game that opposed two bands pushing each other. A local legend claims that the place was indeed named for the cacique Tancacho, who fought for years against the colonizers; the English engineers who built the railway appear to have eventually changed the name of the place from Tancacho to Tancacha.
The flag of Tancacha is prescribed by Municipal Decree No. 1 of 1 January 2013, shed in the official municipal gazette No. 140, January-February 2013.
The flag is vertically divided green-celeste blue-red, the stripes being separated by a small white line. The blue stripe is charged with a yellow disk crossed by a blue and white arrow pointing upwards.
Green represents the fertile soil, suitable for agriculture, the main source of income for the place.
Celeste blue represents the Argentine flag and our fatherland.
Red represents the coat of arms of Tancacha, as well as our immigrants, being a colour shown on the flags of Spain, Italy and most of their countries of origin.
The yellow disk represents the rising sun, a symbol of a powerful village. It is pierced by an arrow identifying the natives, the first genuine inhabitants of this land.
The white parallel lines represents the FFCC railway lines and the Tancacha station, whose inauguration on 15 October 1913 marked the official foundation of the place.
The Decree states that the flag originally adopted in 2003 by Decree No. 185 was no longer used in the town. Accordingly, the Executive commissioned the Department of Design of Córdoba National University to revamp the flag, "in compliance with the five basic principles of vexillology" and "keeping the original spirit of the flag designed in 2003".
The coat of arms of Tancacha is a tribute to the aforementioned cacique. On 2 June 1965, the Directorate of Genealogy and Heraldry, seated in Buenos Aires, acknowledged reception to Francisco García, Secretary General of the Chamber of Commerce of Tancacha and initiator of the design of the coat of arms, of the proposal of coat of arms submitted on 3 May 1965, stating: "The proposed design was approved by the Heraldry College, with the following description and explanation: