Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: general lópez department | santa fé province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Elortondo (5,679 inhabitants in 2001; 455 sq. km) is located in the south of the Santa Fe Province, 320 km from Santa Fe.
Elortondo is the birth place of the football player Hugo Ernesto Gottardi (b. 1953), winner of the 1983 national championship with Estudiantes La Plata, and of the boxer Miguel Ángel Cuello (1946-1999), winner of the WBC World Light Heavyweight title in 1977.
The flag of Elortondo is horizontally divided blue-pale green (c.6:5). In the middle is placed a yellow rising sun surrounded by a white serrated halo and placed over a white horizontal bar. In the lower part of the flag are placed four brown diagonal stripes.
Ivan Sache, 09 Jan 2014
image by Ivan Sache, 17 May 2017
The municipality of Firmat (19,917 inhabitants in 2010; 23,235 ha) is located
100 km south-west of Rosario, in General López Department.
Firmat originates in the establishment of a railway line connecting the port of Rosario to Colonia Candelaria (today, Casilda), Colonia Iriondo (Arteaga) and Melincué (San Urbana); the company owned by Carlos Casado del Alisal was commissioned to build the railway by a Provincial Law signed on 17 October 1881. One of the aims of the railway was the transport, of grain already massively produced in the area to the port of Rosario for further shipping. The map and route of the West Santa Fe railway were approved on 2 September 1882, while its first section, connecting Rosario to Villa Casilda, was inaugurated on 4 November 1882. The further route was split into two branches, one of them with three stations: Villada - named for Casado's birth town in Spain, Firmat - named for engineer Ignacio Firmat, Casado's best friend and at the time Director of the railway; and Km. 78 (Durham).
The Firmat station was erected from 1 June to 30 August 1888 near the places once known as Los Mogotes, Sepulturas, Cañada del Ucle and Cañada de la Aguada, which were known as Tomas Armstrong's inheritance. The inauguration of the station was established in 1938 as the day of foundation of the town of Firmat. A dispute between Armstrong's heirs and Casado, however, postponed the establishment of the settlement, which was made of the station and the inn managed by the station master, Felix Estavillo. The first houses were eventually built between 1889 and 1891 out of the area allocated to the new town. Finally, Pedro Real, José Rodriguez, José Sallent, Luis Rivas, Angel Real, Manuel Barinaga, Lorenzo and Augusto Suiffet, Carlos Pelozzi, Bartolomé Pinolini, and Francisco Real initiated urbanization by erecting houses in front of the railway station.
http://www.firmat.gob.ar - Municipal website
The flag of Firmat was designed by architect Celedonio Risso. The main element of the design is a flying dove, whose sketchy representation does not require more detail for identification. The dove carries a spike in its beak and contains different, inter-related elements. The flag's background is blue, a reference to the sky and to the national flag. The dove is silver white, the colour of the pacific message it conveys. In knowledge shines gold of wisdom, as well as in the future's flower and in the spike, which represent all crops in one. The historical roots we come from and the dynamic vector that emerged from, going through the gear, the spirit's flames and culminating in the future, are of the colour of steel, for its strength and tenacity, which are virtues also proper to work.
In a deeper reading, the air through which the bird moves is time: the dove is the universal emblem of peace, but also in Firmat, ascending through favourable winds and fighting against adverse ones. Inside the bird, the tail, closer to the earth, is ploughed by the roots of our history. From this past emerges a guiding line projecting to a shining future, represented by a flower, in the head, the future with its blue eye looking ahead. In its way through the body, the line crosses a half crown, a gear referring to work (industry and commerce), on which raise two flames, in the wings, meaning intellectual development, knowledge, education. In the central circle, of the colour of the time, occur social and political processes, arts, sports and the community's life. In the beak, the bird carries a spike, the product of our fields, of our work and wisdom, a food for us and the other, by the way of solidarity. All these elements are placed inside the dove, since peace is the continuous result of them and, also, the condition for their development. The design aims at conveying a spirit of determination, since peace will be the fruit of a vivid quest by the society. To synthesise, the dove shall prevail over violence.
http://www.firmat.gob.ar/escudo-y-bandera-de-firmat - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 17 May 2017
image by Ivan Sache, 27 July 2019
The municipality of Santa Isabel (4,877 inhabitants in 2001; 370 sq.
km) is located in the south of the Santa Fe Province, 350 km of the town of Santa Fe de la Vera Cruz.
The flag of Santa Isabel, selected in the contest "A flag for my town" organized in May-June 2005, was unveiled on 9 July (Independence Day) 2005, with the delivery of flags to all the educational institutes of the town.
The flag, designed by Rafael Sunde, is quartered by a thin white cross skewed to the hoist. The first quarter is red with the Argentine sun, the second quarter is celeste blue, the third quarter is dark blue, and the fourth quarter is green.
As explained by the flag designer, the cross represents the Southern Cross. The lower blue quarter represents the sea, from which came the immigrants that founded the settlements in the middle of the pampas, represented by the green quarter. The upper quarters represent the sun and the limpid sky, symbolizing the friendly climate of the region, and making possible the growth of the pampas represented in the lower right quarter.
The four colors also represent the four elements: the water (blue), the earth (green), the fire (red), and the air (celeste blue). The flag also features the colors of the national and provincial flags, as well as the colors of the local sports club (blue-red, green- white, and white-light blue). The white color of the cross, surmounted by the celeste color of the sky, represents the national flag, while, surrounded by the red color of the sun's quarter and the blue color, it forms the provincial flag. White means in the laws of heraldry [sic] hope, purity and peace, and represents argent, which historically identifies us as inhabitants of Rio de la Plata (Argent River). The cross was also made white because white is the sum of the red, green and blue colors. The red, green and blue lights unite in a white light of peace and hope.
The division of the flag in quarters recall the original map of the town, both in its urban and rural zones. In Santa Isabel, there are no diagonals and no circles either; the rural ways communicating with the neighboring villages are all rectilinear.
The dimensions of the flag shall be 0.90 m x 1. 40 m, matching the official proportions of the national flag, 9:14.
Ivan Sache, 09 October 2010
The municipality of Venado Tuerto (c. 95,000 inhabitants in 2010; 4,705 sq. km) is located in the south of the Santa Fe Province, 161 km of Rosario.
The odd name of the town, lit., One-Eyed Deer, might be the direct translation of its Araucanian name, Traumá Trüli, referring to a lake once located near the present-day town of Christopherson, shown for the first time on a map of the Southern Pampas released in 1872. The name alludes to a mythological one-eyed deer, whose empty orbit throws firelights; living most time apart from the civilization, the scaring deer sometimes enters the crop fields on moonless nights. A similar legend refers to a man living in the wild near the lake; mentally-disabled and far away from any woman, the man was nicknamed the One-Eyed Deer. Yet another version refers to a ghost who scared the horses of a thief. The villagers believed that the ghost was the spirit protecting the place.
Venado Tuerto is the cradle of the San Lorenzo March, a military anthem composed in 1901 by Cayetano Alberto Silva (1868-1901 to recall the San Lorenzo Battle (3 February 1813). The house where the anthem was written is now a museum.
The flag of Venado Tuerto, selected following a public contest, as precribed on 5 March 2003 by Decree No. 3025. is prescribed by Decree No. 3964, adopted on 7 August 2003. The flag was designed by Ariel Fabian Altobello who described it as follows (the full description is part of the Decree):
The municipality of Villa Cañás (10,708 inhabitants in 2001; 605 sq. km) is located in the south of the Santa Fe Province, 370 km of Santa Fe City.
Villa Cañás was founded on 17 May 1902 by the Spanish colonist Juan Cañás (1833-1910).
The flag of Villa Cañás is horizontally divided light blue-green, the two filed being separated by a thin white fimbriation. All over is placed an emblem, whose upper half is made of an orange rising sun with golden yellow rays and the the lower half is made of a red half cog wheel; in the middle is placed a golden yellow wheat spike outlined in orange.
Ivan Sache, 05 January 2014