Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: doce de octubre department | chaco province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of General Pinedo (15,741 inhabitants in 2001, 11,332 in the town proper) is located in the southwest of the Chaco Province. The municipality is made of the towns of General Pinedo (11,332 inh.), Mesón de Fierro and Pampa Landriel.
General Pinedo is named for General Agustin Pinedo (1789-1852), a soldier who fought the British invasions in 1806 and 1807 and took part to the second siege of Montevideo in 1813-1814. Appointed Colonel by Rosas in 1832, Pinedo organized in 1833 the Revolution of the Restorers against General Balcarce. Appointed Minister of War and Navy by Rosas in 1835, Pinedo died from a sunstroke during the Battle of Caseros.
Manuel Dávila y Miguel Barbará purchased in the beginning of the 20th century the estate owned by Tomás Matías Pinedo Oliver, a descendant of the general. They founded a settlement named General Pinedo and a wood exploitation that failed, causing the return of ownership of the estate to its first owner.
A new, independent settlement was organized in 1911, with Juan Barrera as its first settler, a few kilometers from General Pinedo. Originally named Pueblo Fiscal (Fiscal Village, that is, independent village), the settlement was renamed in 1917 Ministro Ramón Gómez. Guillermo Welbers purchased in 1917 the old Dávila and Barbará's company, whose activity progressively increased from wood exploitation to agricultural colonization and cotton production. In 1923, Ministro Ramón Gómez was the main settlement in the area, while General Pinedo remained the seat of the administration and of the Welbers company
The municipality of General Pinedo was established on 25 May 1912
The flag of General Pinedo is horizontally divided blue-white-green. The blue and green stripes are divided in four horizontal, equal stripes of different shades of blue and green, respectively. In the middle of the white stripe is placed a yellow monogram "GP" surrounded by ten green stars placed horizontally, five in the left part of the flag and another five in the right part of the flag. The stars have different shades of green.
The flag, designed by Lucas Rosalez (29), winner of a public contest organized by the municipality, was presented on 25 May 2011.
Blue represents the sky above General Pinedo. The brighter shades of blue highlight the cultural progress of the local society.
White represents cotton, the main source of income in the province of Chaco and, especially, in this part of southwestern Chaco.
The monogram made of the initials of the town's name already appeared on the municipal coat of arms. Yellow represents the colour of the rising sun, while the red outline of the letters represents the strength of progress. Yellow is also the colour of the huge locomotives used on the local railways.
The ten stars symbolize ten decades forming hundred years of existence of the place. The gradation of the shade symbolizes the growth of the local society.
Green represents the fields, symbolizing also growth and consolidation of production in this part of the province. Green is the colour of hope and youth, representing here the continuous and progressive participation of the youth to the every day's life of the community.
Ivan Sache, 05 Jan 2014