Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: pellegrini | partido de pellegrini |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The District of Pellegrini (6,018 inhabitants in 2001; 187,860 ha) is located in the west of the Buenos Aires Province, on the border with
La Pampa Province, 500 km from Buenos Aires City and 110 km from Santa Rosa. The municipality is made of the town of Pellegrini (5,025 inh.), of the villages of Bocayuva (104 inh.) and De Bary (101 inh.), and of rural zones (743 inh.).
Pellegrini was established on 4 April 1899 by José Norman Drysdale, as the Drysdale Agricultural Colony, part of the District of Guaminí. The District of Pellegrini was established by Law No. 3,038 of 20 July 1907 and inaugurated on 20 October 1907. The district is named for Carlos Pellegrini (1846-1906), 11th President of Argentina (1890-1892) and founder of Argentina's National Bank (1891).
Bocayuva was established on 4 April 1913, fulfilling a request tabled on 23 December 1912 by Aurelio Berro and Félix Soriano.
De Bary was established on 19 September 1911 on a plot transferred on 8 December 1909 by Teodoro De Bary to the Luis Torres & Cía company. Initially named Mutiloa, for the nearby railway station, the village was renamed De Bary in 1909 upon request of the General Directorate of Post and Telegraph, for the sake of differentiation from Metileo (La Pampa).
Ivan Sache 20 Jan 2014
The flag of Pellegrini was unveiled on 17 August 2013, during the commemoration of the 163rd anniversary of the death of General José de San Martín. The ceremony was proclaimed of "municipal interest" by Decree No. 636.
The flag was designed by Mayra La Menza, winner of a public contest that yielded 24 proposals and required 5 days for the jury to select the winning design.
The flag was described by its designer as follows:
"The flag symbolizes a renascent town, which grew from the resources of the land to form a district of progress, liberty and strength. The emblem is made of two fields, a green fields representing rural activity, dominant in the district and, undoubtedly, the core of work and economy. Lime green represents fertility, nature, growth and hope. The Golden Sun, a reproduction of the national flag, represents the District of Pellegrini, with 14 golden rays and two distinctive rays of colour silver, representing Bocayuva and De Bary.
The District of Pellegrini was emulated by the richness and fertility of the soil to place in the blue field the town and the villages in constant move towards progress.".
Ivan Sache, 20 Jan 2014