Last modified: 2020-03-29 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: guestrow | bull | tree |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Güstrow was the seat of Güstrow county and his the seat of current Rostock County after the merger of the counties of Güstrow and Bad Doberan.
Jörg Majewski, 23 Feb 2007
It is a yellow-green horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Source: §1(5) of Hauptsatzung of Güstrow City, version 29 October 2015
Jörg Majewski, 23 Feb 2007
It was a yellow-green vertical bicolour, the traditional colours of the city. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: Günther 1998
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Nov 2011
Shield Or, a sinister facing bull statant guardant Sable with his tails betwenn the hindlegs being in front of a tree Vert, above having four 5-point leaves and beneath one 5-point leaf and one 3-point-leaf.
Güstrow gained city rights in 1226, granted by Heinrich Borwin II Prince in Rostock. The city developed due to its location near Werle Castle, being the seat of the Lords of Werle - later Princes of Wenden - until 1436. On the left bank of the Nebl River a New Town was established, which had a parish church proven since 1245. Due to the development of the new town, the old town declined and was dissolved around 1600. In 1436 the city became a dominion of the Dukes of Mecklenburg and the ducal residence in 1520. Duke Ulrich of Mecklenburg started construction of the new Renaissance palace, which happened between 1558 and 1594. Between 1621 and 1695 Güstrow was residence of the Dukes of Mecklenburg-Güstrow and temporarily of imperial general Albrecht of Wallenstein Duke of Friedland. Between 1708 and 1918 it had been the capital of the Wenden County within the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
A city seal from 1293 displayed nearly the same pattern as depicted in the current arms.The first arms from 1858 were based on a city seal from 1367, which also displayed a black bull as symbol of the Princes of Werle together with a green rose bush with red blossoms as symbol of the city. In 1880 the arms were restored and since then based on the seal from 1293. The variant prevailing after 1989 displayed a sinsiter facing black bull on a red shield in front of a green tree. It is understood that this pattern, also to be seen on the arms on the first city banner, was caused by an error, and that the golden surface of the shield had disappeared and then revealed its red background.
Sources: §1(4) of Hauptsatzung of Güstrow City, version 29 October 2015 and Hans-Heinz Schütt:"Auf Schild und Flagge" , Schwerin 2011, pp.261-262
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 Mar 2020
The current lag and arms were approved on 8 June 1999 by Minister of Interior of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and published in the Municipal Roll of Arms Mecklenburg-Vorpommern as no.72
back to Rostock cities and municipalities click here