This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Pocatière, Quebec (Canada)

Bas-Saint-Laurent

Last modified: 2020-06-20 by rob raeside
Keywords: la pocatière | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[La Pocatièreflag] image by Ivan Sache, 24 May 2020

See also:


Description of the flag

A white flag with the name in blue below two blue and green curves.

City flag is a logo on white:
https://www.quebecoriginal.com/en/listing/images/800x600/89b462c1-7566-4020-a3c2-c394f563cc5e/lhalloween-a-la-pocatiere-lhotel-de-ville-en-beaute.jpg
https://www.jabo-net.com/hotel13.jpg

Logo:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Ville_la_pocati%C3%A8re_%28bonne_r%C3%A9solution%29.png
Dave Fowler, 24 May 2020

The municipality of La Pocatière (4,120 inhabitants in 2016; 2,130 ha) is located in the south shore of the lower Saint Lawrence, 130 km east of Quebec.

La Pocatière is named after François Pollet de la Combe-Pocatière (1630?-1672), officer in the regiment of Carignan-Salières. After the regiment's disbanding in 1668, he stayed in Quebec and married in 1669 Marie-Anne Juchereau. On 18 September 1670, his father-in-law, Nicolas Juchereau de Saint-Denis, member of the Sovereign Council of Nouvelle-Trance, offered him "a plot of half a league in front on two leagues in depth, part of the fief known to the salvages as Kamisitsit and to the French as Grande-Anse". After his death, his widow was granted by Intendant Jean Talon the domain of La Pocatière, "one league and a half along the river and as many in depth". The owner renamed the domain to Sainte-Anne de la Pocatière.
http://www.biographi.ca/fr/bio/pollet_de_la_combe_pocatiere_francois_1F.html
Dictionnaire biographique du Canada

The municipality of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière was established in 1845. On 1 January 1950, the village of Sainte-Anne separated from the municipal corporation of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière. The village corporation became the municipality of Ville de la Pocatière on 24 November 1961.
https://www.lapocatiere.ca/
Municipal website

The refined graphic image, using a quite legible typography, forms a dynamic identification, which is efficient and easy to apply. The colors composing the logo are bright, clear and modern. The three lines placed above the writing represent the monadnocks, also called "cabourons", which are one of the most characteristic elements of La Pocatière's landscape; the fluid lines also highlight the presence of the river.

Blue is a symbol of loyalty, harmony, communication, and living together with the river.
Green is a symbol of nature, big spaces, vital energy and well-being.
https://www.lapocatiere.ca/la-ville/lorganisation/armoiries-et-logo/
Municipal website

The word "monadnock" is synonym of "inselberg", an isolated mountain".
Inselberg, which first appeared in English in 1913, comes from the German words Insel, meaning "island," and Berg, meaning "mountain," apparently because German explorers thought isolated mountains rising from the plains of southern Africa looked like islands in the midst of the ocean. Geologically speaking, an inselberg is a hill of hard volcanic rock that has resisted wind and weather and remained strong and tall as the land around it eroded away. Ayers Rock and Olga Rocks in central Australia are two spectacular examples of inselbergs. The word monadnock, derived from the name of Mount Monadnock in New Hampshire, is a synonym of "inselberg."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inselberg
Merriam-Webster

The Kamouraska "cabourons" are not of volcanic origin; they are made of quartzite that resisted erosion during the ice age. Following the withdrawal of the Goldwaith Sea, the "cabourons" form heights of 300 feet in elevation. Some of them are named for their owners, such as Montagne Thiboutot, acquired by Pierre Thiboutot on 1786, and Montagne à Coton, named in 1871 for the hermit Johnny Lainé (with a pun on "laine", "wool", and "coton", "cotton") who settled there in the 1850s. The "cabourons" form a specific ecosystem. Brother Marie-Victorin (1885-1944), father of the Botanical Garden of Montreal, found there in 1912 several rare lichen species. The same year, the geologist John A. Dresser published a geological map of the hills.
https://leplacoteux.com/2019/08/lieu-de-memoire-les-cabourons-de-kamouraska/
Le Placoteux, 25 August 2019

Ivan Sache, 24 May 2020