This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Saint-Laurent-Blangy (Municipality, Pas-de-Calais, France)

Last modified: 2021-06-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: saint-laurent-blangy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Saint-Laurent-Blangy - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 26 December 2020

See also:

Presentation of Saint-Laurent-Blangy

The municipality of Saint-Laurent-Blangy (6,575 inhabitants in 2018; 983 ha) is located north-east of Arras.

Saint Laurent and Blangy sere merged into a single municipality in 1819. Saint-Laurent remained a rural village while industry developed in Blangy.
In 1964, local industrialists established Norsyntex on a 500 ha site located in Saint-Laurent-Blangy. They expected to hire 5,000 workers to produce synthetic fiber from coal extracted in the local mines. Cheaper, oil was selected instead, until Norsyntex' main supplier, Rhône-Poulenc, took over the company. Increased and modernized over the next 30 years, the factory was split in 1993; Rhône-Poulenc and SNIA, an outfit of Fiat, founded the joint-venture Novalis, which took over Norsyntex' carpet fiber production, while Rhodia, a product of Rhône-Poulenc's restructuring, founded with SNIA the Instar joint-venture, which took over Norsyntex' textile fiber production. In 1996, Instar established Rhotex, a factory specialized in long fiber texturing. Novalis, Instar and Rotex together employed 900 workers. Rhodia winded up in 2005, being taken over by a businessman who established Lamato. Nystar and Lamato were declared insolvent in 2007. Instar Saint-Laurent, Lamato and the former Polish branch of Instar were merged to form Meryl Fiber, which winded up in 2012.
[La Voix du Nord, 31 May 2012]

Ivan Sache, 12 February 2021

Flag of Saint-Laurent-Blangy

The flag of Saint-Laurent-Blangy (photo, photo) is white with the municipal logo.
The letters are the initials of the town's name. Moreover, the blue "S" represents river Scarpe. At the end of the 20th century, the municipality acquired the plots lining the river on 40 ha and opened them to the public, and inaugurated a watersports base.

Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 12 February 2021