Last modified: 2021-03-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: vierzon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Vierzon , current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau and Pascal Vagnat,resepctively, 31 October 2020
The municipality of Vierzon (25,725 inhabitants in 2018; 7,450 ha) is located 40 km north-east of Bourges.
In 926, a Benedictine monastery was built (on the site of the current Town
Hall). The monks came from the abbey of Deuvre, at Saint-Georges-sur-la-Prée, which had been sacked by the Normans in 903. They brought with them the relics of St. Perpetua, which were transferred to the church of Notre-Dame de Vierzon in 1807, where they
remain today. Also in the 10th century, the Norman lords of Vierzon built a castle atop a feudal motte; the city developed within the western ramparts of the castle.
The Plantagenets, under Richard I Lionheart in 1196, and later Edward, the Black Prince, burned the town and seized the castle. Bertrand du Guesclin drove the Plantagenets out in 1370 and restored Vierzon to the crown of France. It became a logistics centre for the armies of Joan of Arc.
Vierzon remained Catholic during the Wars of Religion. During the French Revolution, the parish of Vierzon was divided into two municipalities, urban and rural (Vierzon-Villages), respectively. In 1887, the part of the town located on the southern bank of the river split as Vierzon-Bourgneuf. In 1907, the eastern part of Vierzon-Villages became a municipality under the name of Vierzon-Forges. In 1937, the four municipalities were re-united as a single one.
During World War II, river Cher divided the town into two parts, the south of the town being in the "Free" French zone whilst the north was in the German-occupied area. In July 1944, a massive Allied bombardment destroyed a large portion of the town.
Olivier Touzeau, 31 October 2020
The flag of Vierzon (photo) is white with the municipal logo adopted in 2006.
The former flag of Vierzon was white with the former municipal logo.
Olivier Touzeau & Pascal Vagnat, 31 October 2020