Last modified: 2013-06-22 by ivan sache
Keywords: regiment | reding | flame |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Regiment Reding, Regiment's colour and Colonel's colour - Images by Tom Gregg, 18 July 1999, after the Nec Pluribus Impar website
The remains of this flag are preserved in the cantonal archives of Schwyz. All that survives are a fragment of the first and third canton. These flags were in the colours of the heraldic arms of the Colonel, and consequently changed with each colonel. This flag was carried from 1756 to 1763 while Anton-Sebastian, Freiherr von Reding (Baron of Reding) was Colonel. He had previously been lieutenant colonel of the regiment since 1747. This was the 3rd Swiss Regiment in French service, and it had nine different colonels (and nine different flags) during its existence from 1672 to 1792.
Todd Mills, 18 July 1999