Last modified: 2020-04-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: valmojado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Valmojado - Image by Ivan Sache, 13 September 2019
The municipality of Valmojado (4,178 inhabitants in 2014, 2,600 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Community of Madrid, 45 km north of Toledo.
Valmojado was first mentioned on 13 December 1449 in a document written by Pedro Sarmiento in Toledo. In 1456, Queen Joan of Aragón and Navarre commissioned Juan de Cogollos, ruler of the town of Casarrubios, to resettle the area, Valmojada included, which initiated a conflict with the Council of Segovia. On 12 March 1467, King Henry IV ordered to "sequester" the villages of Valmojada and Villamanta, which were transferred to his sister, Isabel the Catholic. On 28 October 1467, Fadrique Enríquez, Admiral of Castile, fixed the limits of the doamin of Casarrubios. Disputed by the inhabitants, the limits were partially confirmed by Gonzalo Chacón, Isabel's Greater Majorodomo, who founded in 1484 a domain including the towns of Casarrubios and Arroyomolinos and, among other villages, Villamanta, Valmojado and El Álamo.
Valmojado was granted the status of villa on 7 January 1734 by Philip V; the lawsuit initiated by the Count of Casarrubios ended only in 1759, with the confirmation of the privilege granted in 1734. Valmojado was transferred in 1833 from the Province of Madrid to the Province of Toledo.
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2019
The flag of Valmojado is prescribed in a Decree issued on 28 January 2013 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 11 February 2013 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 29, p. 3,845 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, with proportions 2:3. Quartered by cross, at hoist crimson red and blue, at fly, blue and crimson red. In the center of the flag, the municipal coat of arms, centered on the geometrical axes. The width of the coat of arms shall be 3/4 of the panel's width. The same design shall be used on the reverse of the flag.
The flag was designed by José-Domingo Vales Vía. Crimson red recalls the territorial dependency of Valmojado from Castile. Blue represents the underground water used to water sheep during the transhumance and to fertilize the fields of the municipality.
The coat of arms of Valmojado is prescribed in a Decree adopted on 26 October 2012 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 13 November 2012 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 221, p. 34,686 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a two-storeyed aqueduct argent masoned sable ensigned by a dog rampant or armed gules, 2. Vert five wells or and azure per saltire. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The coat of arms was designed by José-Domingo Vales Vía.
In the first quarter, gules symbolizes the difficulties experienced by the municipality all along its history. The Roman aqueduct of Segovia recalls that Valmojado belonged to the Community of the Town and Land of Segovia. The dog standing on the aqueduct represents the constellation of Canis Major (Gran Can), also the popular name given to the sexmo (administrative division) of Casarrubios, to which Valmojado belonged.
In the second quarter, vert symbolizes the extended area dedicated to agriculture and cattle-breeding. The five wells or and azure represent the underground water.
Valmojado previously used a coat of arms validated by the Royal Academy of History, "Per pale, 1. Gyronny argent and sable a cross flory counter-colored, 2. Or a tower gules. Grafted in base vert a bunch of grapes or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown."
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 200: 3, 552-553. 2003]
Ivan Sache, 13 September 2019