Last modified: 2020-03-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: casarrubios del monte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Casarrubios del Monte - Image by Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019
The municipality of Casarrubios del Monte (5,422 inhabitants in 2018; 9,242 ha; municipal website) is located on the border with the Community of Madrid, 50 km north of Toledo and 50 km south-west of Madrid.
Casarrubios was reconquerred from the Moors by Alfonso VI, a few years
before the reconquest of Toledo (1085). The Cluniac monastery of Santa
Maria de Abajo was established in the village of La Cabeza, disappeared
long ago. The former Arab town was resettled by northern colonists;
according to Moreno Nieto, the settlement was renamed to Casa de los
Rubios, the Red-head's Houses.
The chronicles recall that López de Salcedo and his brother-in-arms from Casarrubios valently fought in the battle of Baeza, which took place on St. Andrew's Day 1227. Accordingly, the recently erected, fortified parish church was dedicated to the saint. The Cluniac monks were succeeded by Augustinians, who moved to Casarrubios, where they established their convent in 1388.
Casarrubios increased in significance in the 14th century due to its
location on the Portugal Royal Road. The castle was transferred in 1352
to Diego de Guzmán de Toledo, Notario Mayor of the Kingdom of Castile.
In 1426, a great part of the Court met in the St. Andrew school to hear
the last will of Inés de Ayala in favor of her daughter Mariana, the
wife of Fadrique. From 1438 to 1453, Casarrubios was ruled by Constable
Álvaro de Luna. From 22 to 25 September 1468, Henry IV stayed in the
town, from where he issued a complaint to the nobles who did not
acknowledge his rule, ordering them to recognize his daughter Isabel as
Casarrubios was subsequently granted to Fadrique Enríquez, Admiral of Castile, Pedro López de Ayala, and, in 1475, to Gonzalo Chacón, the Majordomo of Infante Isabel. The town declined under Charles III, when the Portugal Road was moved to Navalcarnero./P
Philip III erescted in 1599 the County of Casarrubios. Back from
Portugal, the king stayed from 8 November to 3 December 1619 in
Casarrubios to recover from a severe illness; the Court joined him,
making of Casarrubios the virtual capital of Spain for nearly one month.
The uncorrupted body of St. Isidor was solemnly brought from Madrid for
the sake of intercession.
The county was subsequently transferred to the Count of Miranda and Duke of Peñaranda. In the early 19th century, the title was bore by Cipriano Portocarrero, Count of Montijo, which was succeeded by his daughter, Maria Francisca, and her son, the Duke of Alba. Although it never housed a garrison, the castle was equipped with cannons; two of them were offerred in 1837 to the Toledo alcazar, while another two were offerred in 1843 to the Army Museum by the Countess of Montijo, future Empress of the French.
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019
The flag of Casarrubios del Monte (photo,
photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 23
November 2001 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on
23 November 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 122,
p. 13,347 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, divided in four equal parts by two lines, horozontal and vertical, in alternating colors, blue and white. Superimposed in the center with the crowned coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Casarrubios del Monte is prescribed by an Order
issued on 23 November 2001 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and
published on 23 November 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla-La
Mancha, No. 122, p. 13,347 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure a castle or a crescent argent in chief and in base, 2. Azure a fleur-de-lis or. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown.
The Royal Academy selected one of the three submitted proposals of coat
of arms, as the simplest and alluding to the Chacón, lords of Casarrubios.
The Academy found the proposed flag "perfectly acceptable".
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 199:1, 151. 2002]
The coat of arms in actual use has in the first quarter three mounts or
placed between the castle and the lower crescent.
Casarrubios del Monte once used a seal made of a shield decorated with lambrequins, surmounted by a crown open and with the legend "DE LA MUY LEAL Y FIELD VILLA DE CASARRUBIOS DEL MONTE" (Of the Very Loyal and Faithful Town of Casarrubios del Monte), "Per pale, 1. A tower surrounded by a wall with two ladders in chief and base a crescent reversed, 2. A cross flory". The use of these arms, of unknown origin and meaning, was not confirmed by the Municipality Philip II's Relaciones report that the town used "holly oaks" as its arms; in 1878, the municipality described its arms as "a Ducal coronet, two castles and a holly oak", recalling that the town was part of the County of Miranda del Castañar. These arms, however, were not related either with the origina bearers of the title or the Chacón, early lords of Casarrubios.
[José Luis Ruz Márquez & Ventura Leblic García. Heraldica municipal de la Provincia de Toledo. 1983]
The fleur-de-lis is the sought reminiscence to the arms of Chacón, "Quarterly, 1. and 4. Argent a wolf passant sable, 2. and 3. Azure a fleur-de-lis or".
Ivan Sache, 8 September 2019